Barker Bicentennial Park
Location: Village of Barker; Town of Somerset; Niagara County, New York.
GPS Coordinates: N 43.36797 / W 78.55556
Directions: Located on the North end of NY-148/CR-15 in Barker, NY. Take Lake Rd/NY-18 to Somerset and head north on Quaker Rd/CR-15 all the way to Lakeview Dr. and the park. Or use Google Maps.
Parking: There is parking for about 10 cars in the roadside lot in front of the park.
Information / Accessibility / Accommodations
Seasons/Hours: Year round. From sunrise to 9 pm.
Best time to visit: Year-round.
Handicap accessibility: The park is all grass with very mild gradients.
Pets: Unknown. Please follow county laws and keep your pet leashed in public.
Accommodations: Benches; picnic tables; grills; gazebo; fishing access; No Swimming.
Boat Launch: Hand boat launch only.
Of all the parks along New York’s Seaway Trail, Barker Bicentennial Park is certainly the smallest and most overlooked. At nearly 4,000 sq. ft. it offers no large pavilions, playing fields, or playgrounds. Once the site of a water supply pumping station for the town of Somerset, this reclaimed land was converted to a quaint picnic spot complete with flowering trees, benches and a beautiful gazebo.
The 180 ft of beach is a great place to enjoy views of Lake Ontario or to fish from the jetties. When we visited in mid-summer, the stony beach was littered in driftwood. It’s no place to relax in a recliner and take in the sun, but for a quick and peaceful picnic or to catch a glimpse of the lake, especially at sunset, this is a worthy stop.
The Village of Barker started as farmland in 1815 with the settlement of Quaker David Barker and his family in the town of Somerset. In 1875 some of the Barker estate was donated to the railroad concern. With the arrival of the rail, businesses started to move to Somerset Station which soon became known as Barker. The old rail station now serves as the village hall. The Village was incorporated in 1908.
The park, as well as the village was named after David Barker, 4 term town supervisor. His brick house was built on Quaker Rd in the 1930s. He lived there with his wife and 8 adopted children. It also served as a stop on the underground railroad. Mr. Barker would offer food, shelter and assistance to escaped slaves on their way to Canada.
Hiking / Walking Trails
Distance: A hundred feet or so.
Description: There are no defined trails. It’s a small park and you can see the lake from the parking area. It’s all grass and there’s a thin beach with a jetty you may be able to walk out on. That’s all there is to it.
Barker Park Interactive Map
Fishing is allowed at the park. Fish from the concrete pier.
Three miles to the east is Golden Hill State Park, featuring the historic Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse.
Kintigh Generating Station
To the west is the Kintigh Generating Station, a 675-megawatt coal-fired power plant.
- Mid-summer is the best time to catch sunsets.
- The jetty here is frequented by sea birds and migrating species. The solitude of the park also offers great opportunities for spotting without interruption.
- Because the beach is never cleared, the driftwood piles up and makes for great close-up photos and abstracts.