What makes a waterfall photo great?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That shot is a great example of the half shutter speed I prefer. The optimal shutter speed for silking water is the average time it takes for water to drop down the average drop in the falls (a third of a second for small, complicated cascades and up to 8 seconds for Taughannock). Cut that in half and you get water silking half way down a drop and a bit of frozen splashes mixed in.

I wonder if one could superimpose a fully silk shot with a frozen shot and get a decent effect.
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

I know this post is older but I like some of the tips here. I was out shooting some waterfalls last week and am not that happy with the results. I am using too long of a shutter speed for the smaller volume of water. Due to the dry year most streams are running fairly low. Here is my best shot of the three days. Still too long of an shutter but I like the lighting and color.
Attachments
IMG_6466-Edit.jpg
IMG_6466-Edit.jpg (178.06 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
michael_shake
Junior
Junior

Love all the lush green moss. The water is looking good, it's not blown out and the silky look works for me on this one. You still have some detail with veil lines in the waterfall. It is a personal decision so if you like it really silky this is awesome if you want it a little less silky you need a faster shutter then what you used.
For the last few years I've been using HDR for waterfalls. I take three exposures of -2, 0, +2 then use photomatix and photoshop to process them. On a shot like this you would have been able to keep the sky from blowing out and would have had more details in the shadow areas on the boulder to the left bring out more of that beautiful moss green.