Arkwright Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Scott
Rookie

I went down today.....I was in a good mood, until I crossed the creek. Trash everywhere & 4 fresh trees cut down :angry: . The only good thing is they're running out of small trees to cut. I walked down this time ...I'll have to return with the atv & trash bags. I hope the bear I saw on the way down scares the s%&t out of these idiots. Someday I'm gonna follow one of these yahoos home & dump my trash on there lawn for the entire summer. Soooo anyone want to tag along & do a little clean up & enjoy the falls????
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Scott, I'm sorry to hear about the trash and trees. We will continue to have it listed here as off limits, and hopefully word will spread. I wonder if this is the result of locals or people coming from a ways. The cutting of the trees is curious... for fire perhaps?
Scott
Rookie

Matt wrote:Scott, I'm sorry to hear about the trash and trees. We will continue to have it listed here as off limits, and hopefully word will spread. I wonder if this is the result of locals or people coming from a ways. The cutting of the trees is curious... for fire perhaps?
Yes they cut then for camp fires. We normally have more probs this time of year. We get a lot of high schoolers & Collage kids. Like I said before I know it's not the good people on this forum that are doing the damage. Anytime any of you would like to visit, just let me know & we'll set it up. I feel bad for those who come a long ways to see our falls, if they run into me dealing with idiot collage kids, they may not see me being very nice. I scare them off. You can tell who there for the scenery & who's there to get drunk or high.
Marlene
Rookie

Hi Scott -

I am new to hiking in the Chautauqua area, as my oldest daughter is dating a boy in Bemus Point. I've been coming up about 2 - 3 times a month, and fill my days with hiking in various places and playing guitar. I saw the falls on the internet, and have seen maps to find it. I do understand that I need permission, however, to be on your property. I don't know when I'll be up in the area again, as my daughter's friend is coming to Erie this weekend, and going to church camp the next. It would possibly be the first or second week of August, just for one day. I may come alone, but I also may bring along a friend or my other two teenage children (respectable, conscientious kids). We are hardcore environmentalists, and promise to leave only footprints and take only pictures. I do take along a backpack in case I see trash other people left - I pick it up and hike it out.

How can I go about getting permission to see the falls, and must I give you a specific date closer to the time? Would you like an approximate time in and out? I have maps, but is there a way that you like best that is least intrusive on the private property?

As an owner of 50 acres outside of Erie, I understand and respect your need for controlling who is on your land. Some people these days leave a lot to be desired.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Frank Broughton
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Fuji Fine Pix s602z (advanced way beyond its time)

Scott wrote: We get a lot of high schoolers & Collage kids. (snip) You can tell who there for the scenery & who's there to get drunk or high.
This reminds me of a day in Zoar Valley this summer. Right after the now famous August Storm in Gowanda I was curious as to the condition of the Forty Rd entrance area to the MUA. The road was damaged as I guessed it would be so I hiked down with my wife and second youngest son. While I was taking some pictures my son found a bag (hidden in plain site ;) ) Two sets of car keys, 4 cells phones, one wallet (credit cards, money, school ID), couple of nice hats and more. What idiots would leave all this right out in the open? Yep college kids that are trespassing. I waited around for them to return, they were panicking big time as the bag was not in the "in the open" hiding spot. Turns out they trespassed to the former Big Falls. Six "fellas" and two girls in bikinis. Of course I never would have taken the bag (I should have to teach them a lesson) but I did get to remind them to get to a shower as fast as they could for the storm water they just swam in was full of sewage from septic system run off! haha

I have noticed that many of these party type, no respect for land are UB students as this group was. The school sponsors hikes to areas such a Zoar showing the path to the morons for their own excursions for partying.
Frank Broughton
Frank Broughton Times - My adventures, scenic photography, opinion, tech tips & more
Zoar Valley - All About Zoar Valley - A Western New York Gem
Lmccor
Rookie

Hello! I am new to this community, but had heard of Arkwright Falls. I know it is private property and I would like to contact the owner to hopefully obtain permission to hike there for a day. Would anyone know the landowners address so I may contact them?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Hi Lmccor... welcome to the forum! The landowner has posted in this topic before under the name of Scott. You can send him a message by clicking on your User Control Panel on the top, then click NewPM. You should be able to send him a message this way.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Lmccor
Rookie

Okay, thank you so much Chris!