Who are you and what do you do?

New members, stop in and say Hello!

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Well I guess I should add myself to this thread, hadnt seen it before I dont believe and I've been a member here going on 1-1/2 years now. It is unfortunate that so many people have passed through this thread, yet were never contributers to the site. Thats alot of photos, stories, expertise, and thoughts that have gone by the wayside.

Anywho, Hi-I'm Kyle.

I grew up in Newark, hopped around the surrounding towns, went to Maryland for a couple of years and ended up in Victor-but not to stay forever.

I am 32 years old, am divorced and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter.

I work for Local 13 in Rochester. I am currently working for a contractor doing Mechanical drafting (AutoCad); we specialize in Natural Gas distrubution.

I dont recall how I happened across this awesome site, but I am a waterfall enthusiast and imagine I was searching some falls when I did. My love for waterfalling came when I was a young boy and stayed summer weekends with my cousin in Canandaigua. He lived near Deep Run Gully on the east side of the lake, and we spent many a summer days hiking that creek inside and out. That was the start of turned into my love for the great outdoors. I spend as much time as I can during the spring, summer, and fall hiking the many gullies around the FingerLakes. My favorite is Tannery Creek, which is a smaller gully-but to me offers the most. I also am an aspiring 46er, with one under my belt thus far.

I have always loved photography, and very much enjoy viewing the wonderful photos posted here. I joined this site with the goal to become a better photographer, but very much enjoy everything else the site offers.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Tannery Creek and Clark Gully are on my list for the upcoming season. I'm really looking forward to Clark. I don't want to go too early in the season because of the higher waters in spring, so I'll probably do that later in the summer. I climbed Excelsior Falls this past autumn, right after foliage peak. The fallen leaves made footing a bit tricky, so I want to get back there during the summer when the trees are full.

Far too many falls, far too little time... :)
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

spec wrote:Far too many falls, far too little time... :)
Aint that the truth!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
dps77
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Power Shot G11

Welcome Kyle & Andy to our community.
Dave :D :D
lightphoto
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 30D

Hi, I'm Colin. I am a man of many jobs, talents and diversions. I make my living primarily as a lighting designer for theatre, dance, television and corporate events, and sometimes as a theatre photographer as well. I also am a co-founder and producing artistic director of Reverie Productions, a 12 year old not-for-profit theatre company based in NYC (http://www.ReverieProductions.org). More and more lately I am trying to transition into more photography, hoping to find a way to make some money doing it someday, but still mostly for fun.

I live in Brooklyn, but also own a vacation rental house in Fleischmanns, NY (http://www.CatskillSkiHouse.com) in the heart of the Catskills, about 1 mile from Belleayre Mountain ski resort, so I spend as much time as I can exploring Ulster and Delaware counties. This past summer, due to all the endless rain, I took a more concentrated interest in exploring and photographing the waterfalls of the Catskills and the Gunks in Ulster Country, including Verkeerderkill, Awosting, Kaaterskill, Ashley, Rainbow, Bastion, Fawn's Leap, Moore's Bridge, Bushnellsvile, Stony Kill & Haines Falls. I hope I can get some of these on the map! I also spent a week in New Hampshire in August, where I hiked to Sabbaday, Arethusa, Ripley, Crystal Cascade and Glen Ellis Falls, among others. I am looking forward to a trip to Ithaca in the Spring to see some of the great falls central NY has to offer.

Feel free to check out my website, but it is woefully out of date (a year or so), so almost none of my fave waterfalls are there, but hopefully soon! If you find yourself travelling to the Catskills or Gunks, look me up - maybe we can hike and hunt falls together!

Colin D. Young
http://www.LightandPhoto.com/fine-art.htm

a couple of my faves:
Below Rainbow Falls in Minnewaska State Park, NY

Haines Falls in Haines Falls, NY

Frozen Awosting Falls in Minnewaska State Park, NY

Bushnellsville Kill Falls, NY
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Welcome aboard Colin!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Nice photos, Colin. Welcome!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Hello and welcome, Colin!
As far as catskill waterfalls... we are lacking at the moment, but I do have nearly 100 or so in books, trail guides and on maps that I need to get more info on onto the list... perhaps in the spring.