Any GoPro users out there?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I want to attach the gopro to the outside of a car, run it about 1.1 hours as i drive upwards of 60mph
then i want to speed up that video in post and set it to a song.

Anyone know of a rig that will withstand being on top of a speeding car?
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

GoPro has mounts that are supposed to be able to be mounted to a vehicle, have you considered those? There are glass mounts, and also other types that may work. Another option is to attach it to an extendable monopod, and attach that inside the vehicle sticking out the window and facing back or in whatever direction you want.
Matt
President
President

I think I'm going to use a clamp mount, but also have a line tied to it.

Losing my job has put a stop to my Drone plans, unfortunately.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Next week I'm supposed to go swimming with sharks here in Bangkok (one of my clients runs a business reselling the adventure, so he's sending me to experience it). I think I'll get a GoPro head mount and try shooting underwater.

Today I covered a press conference for a hospital that's a client, and they did a demo of their Aeromedical Medical Transport (helicopter). I hand held my GoPro for some footage, and tripod mounted my Canon 5D2 for a static shot of the landing pad. We didn't quite expect the debris hitting us like it did! Here is a video:

https://vimeo.com/89613095
Matt
President
President

that makes me want to get out with the gopro! It never ceases to amazing me with the quality and versatility.
I'm so looking forward to seeing Shark footage!

Any jobs in there in Thailand for me? ;) Preferably involving sharks
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

I love the GoPro. Someone mentioned a helmet attachment when scuba diving or snorkeling. I used a cut off cross country ski pole and taped the GoPro 3 to a 4 foot pole keeping the strap for all of these shots. Helmet attachment won't let you get this close.

Attachments
1G0110070.jpg
1G0110070.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 6871 times
Matt
President
President

Wow. Those are amazing!
It does underwater better than i thought it would. so did you use the remote, or have it on a timer?
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

There is the one pain with he GoPro3. The remote did not work for me under water, so I had to select the option which takes a pic once every second until you turn it off. So I would turn it on, dive down, stick the ski pole as close as i could and hold it, then return to surface for air and turn it off. So I end up with 250-300 shots I have to go through for one days work. Still for underwater pics unless you invest $10,000, i have not found anything that takes such quality shots.

Do go when it's sunny! Cloudy days make it reduce the shutter speed and you get blurry pics.