Flying with Photography Gear

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I will be flying on a vacation soon. What do most of you do with your camera equipment? I would like to take the basic gear (DSLR, batteries, memory cards, chargers) with two lenses and my tripod.

Are there any issues with security that I should be concerned with? Also, can you put a tripod in your carry on or should I check it with my luggage?

Thank you for any advice.

Dave
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Great idea for a topic.

When I've flown with camera gear, I've not brought a tripod - but I would think it alone is cumbersone enough to pack away in your checked baggage.

I carry the rest on in one of 2 Lowpro camera backpacks - usually this one: Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW DSLR Backpack (Black)

The security people have never once opened it or had issues with anything in it. (Chargers, spare batteries, memory cards, lenses, DSLR, and even a [amazon=B00017LSPI]Giottos Rocket Air Blaster [/amazon]which I've heard lately often causes a stir of suspicion)

If you have a liquid lens cleaning solution, just remember to keep that seperate in the zipock bag you have for liquid items and don't leave it in your camera bag.

I once packed the camera bag within a larger rolling carry on and at the last minute was asked to check the item due to limited carry on space on the plane. Not wanting my equipment to be taken from me - I was able to simply remove the backpack from the larger carry on and take it with me onto the plane.

Where are you off to?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thank you Kelly for the great info. I forgot about the lens cleaner... great tip to remember to put it in the clear bag. I am a little worried about checking the tripod but yes it is cumbersome and I was not sure if they would approve of it as a carry on.

Has anyone had any issues with a tripod?

We will be heading to the Dominican Republic, and I hope to get to some of their waterfalls, hence the tripod.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Sure thing. My pleasure!

Another thought on the tripod - my backpacks both have a place to attach a tripod. Not sure if you have something like that on your bag. But if so, I'd just attach it there and it should be just fine. I mean - after all, I always see jocks traveling with lacrosse sticks. What's a collapsed tripod going to hurt, right? Also, people carry on strollers which are much larger than a tripod. Let us know how you make out. Sounds like a great trip!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I haven't flown with a tripod. I have ordered a $25 tripod and had it shipped to my hotel. Then I just junked it before I went back.

Don't check anything expensive or fragile.
Don't put lithium polymer batteries in your checked baggage (they explode when subject to pressure changes, heat, cold)

I usually carry on my lenses and equipment and put my "disposable" accessories in my checked baggage (charger, cleaning, case, filters, etc)

I don't like camera bags. I usually stuff my things into a backpack with my laptop and magazines and whatever. i have some inflatable bags that i use when i really want to cushion stuff. They came with some toner i ordered and they work so perfectly for my body, lenses. I want to get a few more, so i'm willign to buy toner i don't need just for the bags.
I'm not sure where one can buy something like that. I can only find them in wholesale ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G57 ... =nyfcom-20 )

maybe I should buy a gross and sell them myself as camera travel packaging on ebay.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I made it through without any problems. I found an old tripod bag that I had for my "Best Buy" brand tripod. The tripod and head fit well so I just carried the bag on with my camera bag too. I made sure to put the rubber feet on thinking that the spikes could be an issue.

Unfortunately I did not get to any waterfalls but I did take some beach photos and early morning shots with the tripod. I will post some shots later.

The trip was great!