Your 10 Best Photos of 2013

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

That Wolf Creek shot is great! That's possibly my favorite little area of Letchworth.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

ahoooooooohhhhh.

Wolf Creek…..Filmore…..but Niagra at dusk is my favorite. Light, use of light, attention to light seems to be your 2013 focus. Matt i love the use of light in these.It's almost as though you set up your camera on a tripod, then stopped and said to yourself, "I've done this before, a lot. How can I bring a new passion to this gorgeous waterfall."

These are really good. Got any extra wall space?

Not now.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thank you. Obviously a small trip to Niagara was my focus last year. When I stayed there in ... 2007 (I think) I went with my C8080 prosumer camera and a polarizer/ND combo and snapped what I thought were amazing shots for the time. I had some unique angles but nothing grand. When I returned last year, although I felt helpless against the crowds of people with their cameras (and many so much more advanced than mine) I had two things to my advantage:
1. a water-tight setup that allowed me to carry and shoot from the shore, and from the deck of the Maid, where water spray was constant. I perfected my "Niagara Spray technique": Toss on a UV filter. Carry a large, soft cotton cloth in a dry, loose pocket. Shoot, cover, wipe, shoot,... that's how those two panoramas were taken.
2. Patience. I was alone and had to accommodate no one. I could stand there with a tripod and wait and wait and wait. No was was pulling me up Clifton Hill or to eat. It was great to be on my own and wait for the right moment.
I may have a better technique now with exposure. And I know, with my camera's limited dynamic range, that the is no perfect exposure when it comes to capturing water sparkling in sunlight, moonlight, or spotlight. I learned to capture for the misty parts where the water hits the bottom, and let the lest fall into place.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Matt, those are really wonderful, and my favorite is Niagara Falls with the loon(?) front right because it's just a cool composition, and the icy one is also very nice - but every picture except 1 has rushing water and now I have to pee.

David, beautiful. I like your wife(?) in the cave best. The lighthouse one is also really cool.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Matt wrote:Image

Well... that certainly heats things up here... and makes me want to travel!!!

Wow... what can i say... I love them ALL.... The attica falls one, i have said before, is a favorite of mine.. but now... I see these... and...oh.. that buttermilk falls one...I love it. I really would say that's one of MY TOP 10 Favorite shots done in the region. I would love it if you considered allowing us to add it (or others) to the Wallpaper offering.

And the places you've traveled: I'm jealous and also very curious! Any chance I can convince you to share more pics and perhaps some tales of your journeys in the travel section? I want to see more!
I second that...holy crap what a collection from last year....the canyon shot I'm in love with..amazing work
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Not a ton of traveling this year unfortunately, but did get to Belize, Guatemala and Mexico.
Lake Peten Itza, Guatemala

Tikal

Caracol

Closer to home too:
Pharaoh Lake

And even home:
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Champy, lucky for us you didn't get away. nice collection. Sunset, girl walking away in a Spring ran…dock to paradise. Nice!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great stuff, Matt!
are the first 3 stitched panos?
My favorite is the last one because of its warm feel.
But surely there's 5 more from 2013?