Photo Editing Software?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

There's no doubt I'll be subscribing. I'm glad you brought up this topic, Dave. At $20/month, I'm confused about your disapproval. That's way more affordable than buying. Even if you buy and use for multiple years. And you're always up-to-date. And don't you get a discount as an existing user?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

If you are a student/teacher or have a family member that is, you can pick up an academic version cheaper.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I think full photoshop was $600 and the upgrade was $200. 20 x 12 = $240 replace after 2-3 years either $480 or $720 (subscription) and you don't own it so if at any point you stop paying you have nothing. Kind of like leasing a car vs. buying it. Yeah you get a new car more frequently but if you don't want one and want to stop having a monthly payment you are left empty handed.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

OK. But as an existing CS5 user, your monthly subscription fees would be half of what you state. So, $10 x 12 = $120. Replace after 2-3 years, you're at $240 or $360 (subscription) vs. $800 (purchase and upgrade per your figures.) Far cheaper AND always up to date.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I do see your point. It is also how Adobe is marketing it. I think for a business it might work. But I believe the $10/month is only for 1 yr and after that it is $20/month. And what happens once everyone is switched over to subscription. Will it still be $20 or $30 and so on. Remember when cell phones were $9.99 / month? Data plans were $20 / month for unlimited and now they are $30 or more for limited data.

I think a better business model would be to buy the software like before, then having a less expensive monthly subscription like the Creative Cloud that you would constantly have the newest model but if at some point you stop your subscription you would still have your software that you could use.
Matt
President
President

I like owning software. Primarily because I don't upgrade certain software too much. I don't need office 201X.... I have office 2003 and I don't like the ribbon...and I DON'T want to upgrade. I paid for 2003 and it works, it works really well.. and on my old PC it worked really well. It is light and not stuffed with too many useless features.

With photoshop, I was on cs3 for 3 years, then i was on cs4 for years for the same reason. On my old PC it was the highest version I could go to before performance and graphical issues hindered my ability to work in it (my old PC was 6 years old by the time I gave it up). I still use CS4 predominantly because it is the most stable, lightest version with the most advanced features. It loads in a split second on my new PC and rarely crashes. I have access to pretty much all versions, but keep coming back to 4.

Now, with this subscription model of Adobe CC I have the option of putting off updates, but it is unknown if i can skip updates altogether. Also, if i am subscribing, then what am I paying for if i don't want to update? Part of that answer is Adobe's cloud companion software. Online processing, storage, action and art library, etc.... a nice benefit for armature designers. Adobe camera raw can and will be updated independently, and thus you would be paying for support for all new cameras. Currently if you use Camera Raw and buy a new camera, you risk camera raw not supporting it until the next version of photoshop.
Personally, I wouldn't benefit much, and I rather would buy the software and own it. But after cs4, i don't buy Adobe stuff anymore.
My work does. So I always have the option. And for my business, the subscription fees are a bargain.
Matt
President
President

New Lightroom Mobile
[BBvideo 700,419]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfh8EsXsYn0[/BBvideo]
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Lightroom is my photo editing software of choice. I think it might work well on a tablet with a good stylus.