What gear do you use for waterfall photography?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Agreed the 16-35 Canon L II is awesome. And as usual Matt's polarizer experience seems right on to me.

Only complaint about Hoya polarizers, or polarizers in general is that with the ultra thins you can't put the lens cap on. It falls off very easily. So you have to either take the polarizer off each time or carry it very carefully.Kind of a pain. Maybe someone here has some solutions.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Thanks for the recommendations David. Maybe the hood and the polarizer would be sufficient protection?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

ApproachingLight wrote: Only complaint about Hoya polarizers, or polarizers in general is that with the ultra thins you can't put the lens cap on. It falls off very easily. So you have to either take the polarizer off each time or carry it very carefully.Kind of a pain. Maybe someone here has some solutions.
No problems here with my pinch caps. But some eBay sellers have rubber caps that go over the ends of the filters for this very reason. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I sold my 50D crop sensor and bought the Canon 6D full frame. Now the 24mm should be wide. Either the 21st or 22nd we are planning a trip to the Watkins Glen area, but probably not to Watkins. Anyone going to be in the area? We will most likely go to Havana Glen and the so rounding falls.
Matt
President
President

I will be in the Naples area on the 21 and Fillmore Glen 22nd weather permitting. I hear the water levels are great in Havana. Really good torrents.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Matt, are you going Grimes Glen? I am torn between there and Havana. Haven't been to either one. We were looking at the 21 st most likely too.
Matt
President
President

Nope. Probably Conklin and/or Clark's
That is if there are overcast skies.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

If I don't get a photo pass for the Kings of Mic Tour...0 for 2 thus far this year :( , I will be camping in Watkins Glen for the weekend. Went a couple of weeks ago and did Watkins Glen and stopped by Shequaga Falls. First time sleeping in a hammock...did not sleep. Had plans to hit them all up, but was pretty beat by 9 am and headed home. There wasn't much flow happening down there, and not sure if they got the last couple of rounds or not. Anyway, if I do camp...I intend to visit Havana, Deckertown, Hector, Excelsior, and perhaps Twin. If I do get the photo pass, I am leaning towards heading out towards Syracuse during the day to visit some falls I've never been to.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook