What gear do you use for waterfall photography?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

If you don't get your pass and want to try and meet up, let me know.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yeah possibly. Will you be staying in the area? It's quite possible I wont know till last minute about the concert. In which case I may go down and camp Friday night and drive back for the show Saturday night and then come back. I rented a lens for the show, so I would want to get my moneys worth out of it. If I do camp...plan is sunrise-mid afternoon Saturday. Then early afternoon Sunday (11am checkout) for a couple of hours.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

We are staying in potter county, pa about 1-1/2 hr from there.

If you are going you could post or message if not then maybe some other time. What lens are you trying this time?
hobkyl

Overcast? Not likely looking at forecast.

Pretty good chance we will be camping at Havana at least tomorrow night. Still waiting to hear if i was approved. I rented the 50-135. I was going to get the Tammy 70-200, but for rappers i think the shorter focal range will work better. I've been debating purchasing the Tammy...just haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm not sure how much use it would get outside of concert photography when so much of what I do is based on landscape. It would be nice for owls though. I don't know...the jury is still out.

If we go it will be sunrise at Havana and play the rest of day/weekend by ear. I'll post here tomorrow afternoon, and should have coverage down there to check on Saturday.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

I must not have hit submit yesterday. We did come camping. Already did Havana, now off to Deckertown. Did get photo pass so will be leaving around 3.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Hope the lens worked at the concert. I have my eye on a 70-200 too, but I doubt I will get one any time soon. There are certain landscapes that the close crop of 200 works.

I couldn't get connected to nyfalls for some reason. Maybe the edge network? We had a good trip though.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Matt wrote:I can't recommend the Hoya HD polarizer enough, especially if your lens requires a large filter or if you shoot wide and want to avoid vignetting.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8 ... alias%3Dap
Just got one for my birthday, excited to try it out. Also, we used the link here to purchase it.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Des219 wrote:
Just got one for my birthday, excited to try it out. Also, we used the link here to purchase it.
Awesome!! Thank you so much. :up: :up: :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic