US Olympic Team Portraits

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Could you have done better?
Photographer harshly criticized for ‘shoddy’ Olympic portraits

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... --oly.html

All the portraits are here
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-33747_162-1 ... ontentBody
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Hmm. Change pisses people off. I actually really like some of the portraits. :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Despite reports, these MUST be untouched... but... the angles, the lighting, the poses... and the use of a wide angle for portraits!!! Not only are they technically bad photos, they are not flattering at all.
Our official pics should be intimidating and instill a sense of confidence and intimidate people. These make our best athletes look like wieners. :down:
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Matt wrote:Despite reports, these MUST be untouched... but... the angles, the lighting, the poses... and the use of a wide angle for portraits!!! Not only are they technically bad photos, they are not flattering at all.
Our official pics should be intimidating and instill a sense of confidence and intimidate people. These make our best athletes look like wieners. :down:
So the test of a good Olympic portrait is whether or not it intimidates the opponent? Disagree. But you must feel very strongly about it, since you mentioned it twice. ;)
Technically bad? Hmm. All the critics could have done better. But you didn't get the gig. So we'll never know.
I absolutely agree that many of the photos are downright awful! But......

This is my favorite. I don't know what his sport is, and I don't care. I just really like the shot.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

You like that the lighting is irrelevant to the subject? It makes him look like a cancer patient.
Come on... that's not artistic intent. That's just horrible studio photography. A business portrait (let's not forget that the Olympics is a business) where the photographer lights the far shoulder of the athlete and leave the tattoo and face in the dark? Let the light bounce up from underneath causing a ring around the eye so he looks malnourished?

And yes, portraits of Olympic athletes that will be shown on screens in areas and on TV as they are competing, should probably be representing the strength and agility they would want to show. If not that, then at least snap plain photos of the athletes well-lit and free of such distortion.
They shouldn't be photographed like a bunch of distorted freaks emerging from the shadows.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I have to concur with Matt, although I don't feel as strongly as he apparently does lol. These photos should represent the USA and our athletes, I believe the photographer fell short on this one task. Perhaps its their style and its new and something we aren't accustomed to seeing, but the photos kind of look like something you would see at a carnival. Not what I would want representing me across the globe if I was the athlete for sure.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Matt wrote: Let the light bounce up from underneath causing a ring around the eye so he looks malnourished?
That's not a malnourished look. It's an "I just dinged your car door and didnt leave a note" look. :P

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook