Stars, Moon, Planets & ...

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Matt wrote: Not that i will try it--- too cold.
As far as I know, Jupiter has no plans to secede from the solar system. Wait till it's warmer and then give it a try.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Kelly wrote:
Matt wrote:Great shots. How many mm did you use to get the jupiter shot?
Not that i will try it--- too cold.
640 mm equivalent. And then a very substantial crop. If I try it again, ideally, I would like to get a better contrast on Jupiter itself, which will be difficult because the moons are so dim in comparison. It won't happen. Too much effort and not enough patience/motivation. By then I'll be on to a new quest.
I think you can do a composite. faster exposure on Jupiter, it's blown out. Then a longer exposure for the dim moons, then combine.
I just happen to have 640mm i can try with it it warms up.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Yes, I could do a composite. But my thought is "once a cheater, always a cheater." ;)
I'm afraid that I would be tempted, while I was at it, to Photoshop in Jupiter's 59 other moons. :decision:

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Excellent Kelly! :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Kelly wrote:Yes, I could do a composite. But my thought is "once a cheater, always a cheater." ;)
I'm afraid that I would be tempted, while I was at it, to Photoshop in Jupiter's 59 other moons. :decision:
Even Ansel Adams "cheated"
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Haha. My comments were more of an excuse because I know that there's no way in hell I would ever get any of that even slightly in focus again. Major, major kudos to any amateur who can take a perfectly exposed and in focus shot of Jupiter without a telescope! Bring it on.

But while we're at it…

Yep. Old, worn out argument. And once he cheated - he always cheated. Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to a little cheating here and there. Just doesn't feel right for me here. (And even more accurately, I don't have the skills or the equipment to do it.)

I wonder if he missed out on some of life's most wonderful moments because he was stuck in the darkroom laboring over all of those images. And look where it landed him. He's dead now, isn't he? ;)

I'll only cheat when it becomes necessary. Can't bring myself to do it here. But I will look forward to others doing so! Go ahead. Be naughty. We all have our own standards and guidelines. :popcorn:

I feel no need to agree with someone else's philosophy. But I do respect it. :up:

And really isn't what constitutes "cheating" to one person, just "taking care of business" to another person?

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

I feel if you are taking multiple exposures, focus, of the same scene, and compositioning, it not cheating as it was done long before digital, and has always been a way to counter the inadequacies of photo-sensitive substrate and the width of our lenses.

focusing on Jupiter is easy. Just set your lens to focus on infinity.
if still not in focus, and it's lacking in color, then it's a matter of being overexposed (which looks to be in Kelly's pic).
If it's exposed fine and the edges are still blurry then it's lens diffraction. Use a lower f-stop.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

I'm excited to see your photos of Jupiter, especially since you seem to think it's so easy. I can't do it. I've given up. I have a new hobby to spend my time on.

[spoiler]plants vs. zombies[/spoiler]

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic