WTF?

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Best line in that video is @ 5:36

"Ugly HDRs can look like a ton of Skittles that have been forcibly excreted from the backside of an elephant..."

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

embedded for fun
[BBvideo 700,419]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxzJlp ... redirect=1[/BBvideo]

Love it, but I disagree with the idiot with the misleading intelligent-sounding accent.
1. selfies.... just because the word is new, and it has captivated media idiots that think taking a photo of yourself is some new social media trend, doesn't mean it isn't an art form. A photographer doing a "selfie" is like a painter doing a self portrait. I've seem thousands of interesting and creative selfies.

3. Putting your name on a photo? Seriously? in the age where google steals photos and serves them up for people looking specifically for photos to steal, and when all it takes is a right click to take your hard work and livelihood, you MUST sign photos. "Who do you think you are? Picasso?" I would love to go around telling every artist that signs their work that line. Apparently Picasso is the only person worthy enough to sign art, dickhead. Also, when companies like buzzfeed are making millions creating content on photos they stole, it's nice to put a source on the image to at least lead people to the person that should be making the money and not the person that uses it to illustrate their "Top 10 reasons why Buzzfeed should get the shit sued out of them for copyright violations" list.

6. Sunset photos? idiot. Just because there are many of them? That's like saying portraits are a cliche because there are so many portraits out there. Are bird photos also a cliche? It happens once a day. It's going to be frequent. And every spot on earth has a different perspective on something that's different every day. Sunsets are actually MY top sellers. Probably half of what I sell is a sunset pic. So obviously people love them.

12. slow shutterspeeds for waterfalls. Well... try them with fast shutterspeeds. They look like shit. I would call myself a bit of an expert on the topic. Why shoot sports at high shutterspeeds? Because that's what works. Small waterfalls captured at high speeds looses all sense of motion. The water looks static and it's hard to find the direction of flow. In many cases small drips and paths are completely lost. I shot all my falls in high speed and slow speed. Most of the time the high speed is junked. It's terrible. Large falls like taughannock or niagara benefit from higher speeds because they are violent, chaotic falls in motion. Smaller falls... well- there's a reason why you don't see many pros shooting them at 1/600 sec. Just like you don't see someone on the sidelines of a Bills game shooting players at 1/2 second.

20. Tourist photos... it's for memories, not for art or to please critics. That's a pretty dicky arrogant thing to say.

It left out some of the most prevalent on the net. Here's my list:

-a row of colored crayons or pencils arranged in gradient.

-bee on a flower
-your lunch
-The stupid thing the barista drew with the foam on your shitty coffee
-Silhouettes in front of a sunset. Oh, you kid stood in front of the sunset pic and the little turd turned all black? You, my friend, are an artist!
-A photo straight down at your feet. "I'm bored, and there's nothing to photograph. Oh... my feet! click. I'm an artist!"
-Top-down view of a spiral staircase.
-Cross processing filters-- I hate you
-All-bokeh (blurry) views of christmas lights.
-Girl's lips covered in sprinkles - please make it stop
-Street photography in NYC - wow you found a freak on the streets of manhattan? Congrats, you creative genius!

and the # one photo cliche on the internet that was missed by this arrogant dunce and thus invalidates his whole video:
[spoiler]Your cat[/spoiler]
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

Well said Matt! I couldn't believe that guy was actually down playing so many things. BUT I didn't think it would get such a big response as your's. I wondered after seeing video what he takes photos of ??? If he takes any at all !
Marty
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Kelly
Editor
Editor

pgflyer1 wrote:I wondered after seeing video what he takes photos of ??? If he takes any at all !
Ding, ding, ding! Wonder no more! Here's a link to his Flickr pictures!

Kai Man Wong on Flickr

Best part, after reading Matt's rant? This guy's first image!! :D

If you haven't yet had enough of his bloody arrogance - you can subscribe to his YouTube Channel here
https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Yikes... his flickr is filled with black and white street photography... he's so talented.

I have watched his videos for some time. He used to be very critical of the m4/3rds cameras, downplaying them as compact cameras for children, be he recently was won over by the EM1 and GH4, and I believe he uses m4/3rds now. His videos ARE entertaining. I just wanted to roll with your post and shake things up.
I posted mine, What photo cliches are YOU tired of?
Maybe this deserves a new topic?