Photoshop Help

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I took this pic of a long tailed duck and managed to clip off his bottom wing. Can any of you guys think of a way to fix this using Photoshop? I have the RAW file and if someone is willing to make a whole super cool looking wing out of the one I clipped please let me know.
If you take on the task and do a kick butt job I'll give you a matted print of the pic and maybe even a couple of bucks.
Long Tailed Duck by pinnicktabor, on Flickr

I was wondering if there is a way to add more water to the bottom of the pic and then complete the wing rather than cut into the existing wing.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The wing is probably the easy part. You have a full wing at top. Just copy, flip, rotate, scale and warp into place. The tough party is getting a new row of waves at the bottom and not having it look weird.
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

I wanted to give it a shot so I just grabbed the pic here. Its very crudely done and I think others on the site will do better. I used the upper wing to create the missing wing and copied and manipulated the water around to come up with this.
Attachments
6847669085_c3844b1068_z.jpg
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I think you did a great job! If I sent you the original file could you give it a go? If this is crude I'd love to see what you could do.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent job. Do a run of the Healing Brush tool (large and soft edge brush shape) across the seams of the water to blend it in a bit better and then some random taps of the Spot Healing brush on that repeated water pattern to break it up a bit, and it would be perfect.
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

jason, Yes go ahead and email me. I will do my best to start as soon as I can.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Possible second option. I also find the "Content Aware" really amazingly intuitive. Lasso an area to fill, correct or delete, hold shift and delete, choose content aware at 100% opacity. It is great for stuff like this. Of course first you want to increase your "canvas size" to make room for the waves.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

K, so content aware is not so bad. The first pic took less than 1/2 minute. It even tried to finish the wing!

1.) Image/Canvas Size/ add an inch to height
2.) Using Rectagular marque tool, sélect where there is nothing
3.) Shift/Delete (Content Aware and 100% opacity is chosen already)/Hit OK

Then I followed what Matt said which I use also. Magnetic Lasso/New Layer/copy/paste/flip horizantal/ puppet warp (remember to anchor the top)/burn mid tones and shadows. All said 4-5 minutes.
I have been very very impressed with content aware. If it doesn't work the first time, select a smaller area or simply try again.

P.S. little trick i should have know years ago! When you are in close working on detail, Hit the space bar and the hand object let's you move your project rather than using command + or command - and scrolling with the mouse. It does not disrupt the tool you were just using!
Attachments
Increase canvas size,choose empty canvas, Shift delete.
Increase canvas size,choose empty canvas, Shift delete.
Final play
Final play