External HDs

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

What would any of you recommend for size? I'm not sure what I would need vs what would be more than I would ever come close to using.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

At least 2TB....I haven't shopped since I got these. I back up everything on 2 - 2TB drives.......but shopping today, I'd go even larger especially if you're doing the RAW thing. (Just don't tell Gordon Ramsey ;) )

[amazon=B002QEBMCI]Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive[/amazon]
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I have a 1 TB, need to go to 2 or three soon ... or spend some time cleaning out photos.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I don't know if I'd ever really store that much as a hobbyist...if I did, I'd just be storing a bunch of photos that weren't or won't be processed. Am I correct that a 250gb would hold roughly 20k 12mp raw images? Maybe I'm underestimating...but that would take me years to fill. I'm asking for it as a gift and am trying to keep the cost under $70.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I guess it depends on how you handle your workflow and how diligent you are about deleting the duds from a day's/week's/month's/year's worth of images.

For me, I take so many photos - I will just come home and dump an entire 16 GB card (or two) onto the external drives for later editing. (Nothing goes on the PC's own hard drive until it's been processed/edited and is a definite keeper.)

If that's not your style, and you are good about immediately deleting what you know you'll never want - then sure, go for a smaller one. You'll probably fill it more quickly than you think.....but no harm done. You can always get another! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

HD prices are high, very high now, primarily due to the flooding in Thailand, where a lot of the components are manufactured. 4 months ago I bought a few 2 tb bare drives (for work) for about 60 bucks each. Now they are 120!

If you wanted to save yourself some cash now (and later)... one... hold out until the flooding situation dies down in Thailand. two... buy an enclosure and a bare drive. Enclosures are about 20. Bare drives are significantly less than complete externals. Then when the times comes, you can upgrade the the bare drive and save yourself some money.

The CoolMax enclosures are pretty reliable
[amazon=B000UOAJR0]Coolmax HD-389-U2[/amazon]

Right now I think the best way to pick up a bare drive is to monitor the sunday adverts.