Covered Bridges

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Warmer weather is a coming. I have a few covered bridge trips hopefully planned and will have more to post here.

Been a while, but I've actually been away from the computer more since I've found this geocaching.

My camera filed for marriage counseling, so I'm working on getting better again. :)
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I just remembered that there's a covered bridge in Allegany State Park. Not for cars, it's only a bicycle pedestrian bridge. I'll post it if I find a picture of it.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

cbobcat49 wrote:I just remembered that there's a covered bridge in Allegany State Park. Not for cars, it's only a bicycle pedestrian bridge. I'll post it if I find a picture of it.
I've tried to do a little research on this one and can't seem to find much info. My guess is that it's just a bridge that is covered. I still love ones like this, but it's not on the "historical" list of the covered bridges. I'd be interested to see some of the photos if you find them.

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
cbobcat49

I found a photo. It is definitely not "historical". I actually remember when they built it. In the late 80s I think.
Attachments
covered bridge.jpg
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I have an extended weekend coming up in a week or two and am hoping to take one day to do a series of geocaches in Sullivan County that takes you around a bunch of covered bridges and waterfalls. Hopefully, I'll have some new covered bridges to report on in here. Now all I need to do is take out a small loan to pay for the gas to get me there...

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

In New York State, there are 24 historic covered bridges still standing. Not all of them are open to car use anymore and some of them aren't available to the public. It's been my goal for a while to try and photograph as many of these bridges as I can.

This is a map on the New York State Covered Bridge Society's website (http://www.nycoveredbridges.org/index.htm), showing where all the bridges are located.

These are mainly somewhat downstate. I've shot several of them, but would like to re-do a few and add a couple of more to my list. Two of the private ones aren't far from me, but it seems like at least one of them will be about impossible to see, unfortunately.

I'm going to try and research some other "photogenic" things near the public ones in the hopes of making a photo day out of one of these trips. I'm seriously looking into that abandoned structure in Liberty, which I saw in another post on this site.

The private ones are Tuscarora Club Bridge, Lower Shaverton, Forge Bridge, and Ashokan/Turnwood (New Paltz Campus).

Shushan Bridge is a museum, so to go inside one must be there when it's open.
Attachments
covered_bridges_full.gif

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

As of today, here's the map with the ones I've done. I hope to add a few more this summer.
Attachments
covered bridges.gif