Pennsylvania Waterfalls

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pawaterfalls
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D

cbobcat49 wrote:Well we just got back from northeast PA. We stayed at a very nice B&B outside of Dushore called the Cherry Mills Lodge. As for Ricketts Glen, I think I took some of my worst waterfall photos ever here. The creek was roaring because of rain and and it was bright and sunny that day. All my shots got washed out. :( It was a great hike nonetheless. We went to see Seven Tubs. wow! That place is neat. A must see! The water there was crystal clear. Much like the Adirondacks. The next day we checked out the DWG falls. These were also roaring. Again, not very good pictures. I think we enjoyed the falls at Child Park the most. I'll post some shots when I can. All in all we had a good time. :)
Glad that you had a good time. The tubs are a nice spot, did you go all the way up and over the railroad tracks? Childs Park is a nice place in the winter time, especially Factory Falls (The upper one).. very photogenic. I took the g/f and kids up to Lake Minnewaska outside of New Paltz on Friday and on the way back, we stopped at some waterfalls in the Pocono region and one is particular was really raging because of the 4+" of rain they got. I kept looking for the kayakers...
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

At Seven Tubs the creek seemed to level off after the main "popular" area so we didn't think there was any more. I did walk up the main creek a ways though.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Lincoln Falls - Sullivan County

We drove right through this town of the same name. Julie wondered out loud, "I wonder if there's a falls we can see here?" Just then we passed by this kid riding a bike, so she decided to ask him if there's a Lincoln Falls..... "sure, I'll take you there!"

Well, he then led us down this driveway... When I asked him the obvious question his reply was "My friend lives here." The house was right next to the creek, we hiked up the creek, then up a tributary to Lincoln Falls. A fairly pretty falls, about 20 feet high in a narrow gorge. Since my camera sucks in extreme contrast settings, the pics aren't the greatest. The kid, Paul or Scott I think he said his name was, said that there's a cave behind the falls that they used for the Underground Railroad. We didn't bother trying to walk back there because the rocks here were VERY slippery.

looking downstream...
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Mineral Springs Falls

Another falls from our Pennsylvania trip in Sullivan County. We weren't planning on visiting this and didn't even know it was there until we drove past it. We were going from the High Knob overlook to Worlds End state park. I didn't even know what it was called until just now I was browsing through pawaterfalls.com and found a match.
http://www.pawaterfalls.com/pages/mineralspring.html
It's a very picturesque small falls in a little glen easily viewed from the road, which happens to be a dirt forest road which doesn't get a lot of traffic.

I thought these barriers in the culvert where the creek went under the road were interesting. Erosion prevention I guess.
cbobcat49

Some shots from Rickets Glen State Park. The sunlight was horrendous the day we were here so most of my pictures came out real bad. Here are some passable ones. The creek runs through a dense hemlock forest so the tannin from the trees leaches into the water making it the color of tea. Really interesting.

Ozone Falls

Adams Falls

cbobcat49

Sullivan Falls - in the state game lands near Rickets Glen

I had a run in with a rattlesnake while we were here! I was climbing up back out of the glen, put my hand on a medium size rock to steady myself, and I heard the unmistakable sound of a rattler! CHCHCHSSSHHH!!! I did not see it anywhere though. Possibly under or next to the rock. I froze scared for a second or 2 and then sloooowly walked away. Julie was ahead of me and she said I looked like I saw a ghost.

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

could have been a baby... they sometimes have rattles ;)
pawaterfalls
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D

cbobcat49 wrote:Lincoln Falls - Sullivan County

We drove right through this town of the same name. Julie wondered out loud, "I wonder if there's a falls we can see here?" Just then we passed by this kid riding a bike, so she decided to ask him if there's a Lincoln Falls..... "sure, I'll take you there!"

Well, he then led us down this driveway... When I asked him the obvious question his reply was "My friend lives here." The house was right next to the creek, we hiked up the creek, then up a tributary to Lincoln Falls. A fairly pretty falls, about 20 feet high in a narrow gorge. Since my camera sucks in extreme contrast settings, the pics aren't the greatest. The kid, Paul or Scott I think he said his name was, said that there's a cave behind the falls that they used for the Underground Railroad. We didn't bother trying to walk back there because the rocks here were VERY slippery.
I wish I had that kind of luck. Lincoln is one that is in the books, but I have never been to. I know it's all pointless now, but there were some others close to the pics that you have. Buttermilk Falls in Sullivan County at the Buttermilk Falls Campground in Shunk. Ask permission and they're generally ok with people going back. It's either here or Spackmans Creek in Pike County where I blew out my back and eventually had to have surgery on a disc in the L5-S1 area. I took a nasty spill on both.

Sullivan Falls in Sullivan County.. one of my two favorite waterfalls in Sullivan County. Further up the road on the left is Bear Run Falls and further up Sullivan Run are about 9 more waterfalls from the various tributaries and on the run itself.

Mineral Spring Falls is a nice area and I normally just sit on the rock close to the fall and relax for a while before I start shooting this one. Upon leaving, did you notice Cold Run Falls? It's a little roadside fall going back towards US 220 on the right. You also passed by the road for Coal Run Falls and the parking area for Cottonwood Falls if you used PA 154 to get to Worlds End State Park. Inside World End, there's a 70 foot fall in steps that falls in to the Loyalsock that can be seen from close to the parking area. I think it's High Rock Falls.

Best time for the tannin is in the winter. Gives a nice look to the otherwise all white scene.