March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes: 9
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Lol I don't intend on bringing any mice...but ill cheer you on if you do!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

I know everyone is joking about the mice thing, but it was a serious topic when I used to read forums for nature photography. People would bait birds including owls with food. It falls into an ethics situation mostly unless you live in Montana....see link

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/news/Photo ... 2042.shtml
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

In a a lot of states, baiting certain migrating predatory birds is considered illegal... though in the context of hunting. Not sure of for photography.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

As far as I can tell, in NY it is not illegal to bait birds for photography (like using a rabbit carcass). However, it is illegal to feed wildlife (deer and such), so it's something to be very careful about. I would imagine that an ECO could interpret it either way, and if you were ticketed you'd have to pay to fight it... :shrug:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

but if you throw the mouse or rabbit carcass at the ECO and run as the owls attack him/her then you should be able to get away just fine.
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

My post really wasn't about the legality of feeding animals, just stating that it is unethical to feed wildlife for a better photo. That being said, I know everyone was just kidding about the mouse. I should hopefully be there for the prowl, if not Im definitely trying to find any times to get out there.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Matt wrote:but if you throw the mouse or rabbit carcass at the ECO and run as the owls attack him/her then you should be able to get away just fine.
:rotfl:

I was curious about the legality of it myself, because it's not something that I've encountered or ever considered doing.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

ahh...you guys are making me laugh. If only the owls could respond.What would they say about their day?

Do they only think about survival? Are we so removed from the hunter/hunted reality that we can eat a hamburger but look at a bird of prey and refuse to accept their every day basic existence?

Too deep? Maybe we just try to get some pictures and stay with..."choke me in the shallow waters, before I get too deep."

playfully, david