March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes: 9
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hobkyl wrote:What is the average focal length that photos of the owls are taken at?
You will want as much reach as you can get.
The big owls are high up. The little ones... well... probably not a good idea to get very close to them.
A few years back when I grabbed my shots, I was shooting with focal lengths from 400-600mm equiv.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

So my 50-200mm probably isnt going to yield quality close ups :( Oh well it will still be fun :D
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

50-200 on a cropped pentax sensor? -- making it 75-300....yeah that'll work. But with birds, close is never close enough.
I wouldn't going into this outing expecting great shots. If we are lucky enough to find owls that morning, chances are that great photos wont come of it. Take this as an opportunity to get to know the park, get familiar with places to find the owls, and come back in the spring to see the hawk trappings!

Just seeing an owl is exciting though. Bring a nice pair of binoculars for spotting.
hobkyl

Nope im not expecting much...just wondering how ill fair if a owl offers itself for a shot.

We went last year but didnt see anything.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Do you think other park visitors will get mad if i wear this...
[spoiler]
42050.jpg
42050.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
and sit up in a tree?[/spoiler]
hobkyl

Not if you jump out of the tree and land on me while I wear this....

[spoiler]
MouseCostume.jpg
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Kelly on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Hid the punchline. :o)
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

chances are if i jumped out of a tree wearing that costume, a wing would get snagged on a branch, and i would dangle there with my bare ass hanging out. So i'll stick with regular clothes.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Ok so how many are going? Is their a problem if I bring my nice's age 2, 5, and 7? Weather permitting for them, if it's real wet, real windy or deep snow most likely they won't be their.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview