Torso retractable camera lanyard?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Ive searched around online for something but didnt find what I was looking for. Wondering is such a thing exists? There are numerous other options..but I couldnt find anything like what I am looking for.

This came to me as I was bent over strapping in my snowshoes over the weekend. I had the camera around my neck and it was swaying back and forth and twisting the strap as it spun around freely away from my body.

Essentially I am seeking something that would strap around your torso and have a retractable lanyard attached to it. At the end of the lanyard would be a screw that would mount to the camera as a tripod would. This would keep the camera close to your body at the chest/abdomen position (as it would be if hung over your neck) and would prevent it from swinging about. The retractable lanyard would allow you to pull it out and up to your eye to take a photo.

My hopes is that a simple design such as this would be much cheaper than the other camera carrying options out there.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I haven't seen something like that (maybe you can invent it)

but here are some things i have seen

http://www.lu.ma/loop

http://abella.net/?page_id=140

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-XEIkc3E8
http://www.spiderholster.com/
hobkyl

That Spider system is nice. My only concern with that is if worn on your hip, it can get caught on branches or if you fell sideways it wouldnt be protected. I dont know about the sling though, seems as though the camera could still swing freely and it still wouldnt be protected from side impacts.

Ill have to see if I can locate a retractable lanyard from a id badge or something and see if I can fashion something.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

If you could get your hands on a janitor's retractible keychain you'd be golden. :) Clip the retract-o-unit to the chest strap of your backpack, then you could either concoct something that would go onto the keyring and mount it to your camera's tripod hole, or you could hook the keyring to your camera strap somehow. Those keychains are usually fairly heavy duty (if you don't end up with a cheap-o one), and can hold a pretty good amount of weight before they 'sag' yet they are still easy to pull out for use.
-----
spec
hobkyl

Indeed Andy...I did find some heavy duty retractable key rings online and will purchase one and give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

-----
spec
hobkyl

Shhh! I was trying to inconspicuously promote it.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Now if I can find a tripod screw with an eyelet....I'll be all set
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook