Birds

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Be sure that Shana has a video camera when you attempt this (no mist nets allowed). I bet that we could raise some money for/interest in the site with that footage!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
ShanaD

I knew that they were Cedar Waxwings, I stared/watched them for a very long time. They are very fun to watch, but I am sure watchin Matt try to catch one would be just as enjoyable. Their chirp almost sounds like a cricket.
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

I had 4 Juvenile Cedar Waxwings in my backyard making a racket the other day. The mother was bringing them berries. I couldnt get a shot of the feeding but here is one of the minors.

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Matt - what lenses do you have for your 4/3rds system? i definately need a better telephoto and a macro lense

Those cedar waxwings are everywhere in the gorges lately. We saw a ton last week in every gorge we were in
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I just have the kit lenses for the 510. (14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko)

Save your money: Oly has a 12-70 and a 70-300 (!) coming out in october! The 70mm will be a high grade lens, the 300mm will be a standard (kit) lens.

Right now the $800 50-200 f2.8 is the best birding lens for Oly (under $3000)- a new version (better version is coming out in the next month or so). I'm getting this lens.

For macro, there are quite a few Sigmas for the 4/3, but the good ones are prime. If I needed one, I'd get the 105mm - <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8 ... 325">Macro Lenses</a><

The 14-54 they have out now is great for macro too though. I'd expect the same from the 12-70.

There is also a 1.4x teleconverter that will work with all oly lenses.
Matt
President
President

I found this little piper-like guy hanging out on the pier at Sudus Point. He was alone and not very willing to fly away. This one I can't identify 100%. The back and mantle feathers are similar to the golden plover... but that's really all I can tell. Perhaps this is a juvenile.

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

This is a tough one. I'm thinking it's perhaps a juvenile Black-Bellied Plover, because of the more black & white coloring on its back, but the length of the bill bothers me. What size was this bird? Could it be a juvenile peep, like a Semipalmated Sandpiper? It was probably tired out from the trip across the lake.

I'd love to make a spring visit to Point Petre for the same reason. It's a great place to get closeups because large numbers/varieties of birds stop there to rest after the crossing heading north.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

it was no more than 6 inches in length