Food of China

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hobkyl wrote:More great photos Matt! Vs the American dollar (I know that's not saying much nowadays) how pricey was it to eat while there? It looks like you visited pretty fancy eateries...that we'd pay upwards of $ 20 a plate here.
The 5-course western meal with dedicated waiter was about $20..
Standard Chinese food meals of about 3 dishes were $15.
The hotpot, which was way too much food, was about $10 +the 2 beers i needed to make it palatable.

McD's and KFC are the same price if not more as in the USA.

The most interesting part about eating in the Chinese food places, was the amazement by the staff and other patrons when they saw I can work the chopsticks and actually eat Chinese food.

My Hot Pot experience was so-so, especially after it being hyped up so much and seeing that half the joints in Chengdu served it.
The cuts of meat were just poor compared to what I'm used to
If I had money, I would definitely open an American HotPot-themed spot.. a family-style place with all western flavored food cooked the same way. Large kabobs of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, potatoes, bowls of corn, a buffet of spices, all in a flavorful broth. The problem is... it could never pass health inspection in the USA, because impatient people would eat before cooked and get sick.
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Matt wrote: If I had money, I would definitely open an American HotPot-themed spot.. a family-style place with all western flavored food cooked the same way. Large kabobs of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, potatoes, bowls of corn, a buffet of spices, all in a flavorful broth. The problem is... it could never pass health inspection in the USA, because impatient people would eat before cooked and get sick.
Regarding health concerns, how is this any different from fondue places (such as The Melting Pot, which is coming to Marketplace Mall)?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Sounds pretty comparable to here.

They cook your meat tableside at MP (Haven't been to one yet-and can't wait)
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Actually, you cook your own food at Melting Pot. But there's warnings all over the menu and posted about making sure you cook your meat thoroughly.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Oh ok...just read the menu...which says meat is cooked tableside and assumed that it meant they cooked it.

Well there you go Matt....blow your life savings and bring the hotpot to Rochester! :yum:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

boiling large chunks of meat in soup...is a lot riskier than other methods of cooking. A heck of a lot riskier than small blocks of produce or meat for fondue stations.
It all depends on the amount of measurable coliforms, which will be very high for hotpot.
Matt
President
President

Something i should be concerned about;
http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/pictures ... -beef.html

“Beef Extract” Additive Used To Change Pork Into “Beef”
Matt
President
President

There is a new chinese restaurant in Henrietta, serves Hot Pot
2411 W Henrietta Rd, Rochester, NY 14623-2323

I have no info on it now, but will check it out. I need to build up my spice tolerance for a repeat visit to Sichuan Provence.