The 'Chute' - Skaneateles Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

This is locally know as the Chute of Flume - an artifact from bygone factory days along skaneateles creek near Skaneateles Falls.....as you can see in the first picture, the water below this natural waterfall is channeled into a smooth concrete flume (probably for a waterwheel or wheels that would power whatever factory was over it). There are tons of old foundations all around, both above and below stream of this area. It has been known for years because you can sit on top of this flume, lie back and be jetted along the whole thing (about 100 yards) in comfort down into a dammed section at the end....it WAS (still is) and excellent summer diversion for kids. The area is now POSTED, but it's mostly posted for legal reasons, it is still used quite heavily as a vertical waterslide (really quite unique)...during higher water it sends you down quite fast. The waterfall above it I believe is the only natural one left that gave Skaneateles Falls its name, the rest were either used for power or vanished due to heavy limestone quarrying in the area....
Upstream - notice foundation works just visible:
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Where's a pic of you riding the slide? Lol. J/K....Very nice photos.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shots but what's the red dot in the last picture?
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

A leaf - it was sitting on a rock - made for a nice compositional element
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Superb photos!
jchamb32
Rookie

My sisters and I grew up in Mottville NY back in the 80's. We try every summer to take our children for a walk down the Nature Trail and to The Chute. We were just in town a few weeks ago and had a BLAST at both places. We got some wionderful pictures as well. I will post them when I figure out how. Have my friends and family from where I live now, Newark NY, asking me where the place is and how much they would love to go. Great childhood memories and great new memories we are forming.
Chelsea

Do you have an exact location so I can use GPS to find this? I would love to explore.