Watkins Glen State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Watkins Glen State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
7%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
93%

Total votes: 27
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Getting there early turned out to be key.

When we pulled in (well before 9), we parked near the back of the parking lot. Nobody was around. We started the hike. Stopped at a few waterfalls and took photos. Kept strolling and only saw a few people. Finally made it to Rainbow Falls and had a good 10-15 minutes of nearly nobody around to shoot it.

Then, all of a sudden, WOOOOOSH. People everywhere. I was happy to have gotten there early.

We ended up hiking to the top, but a couple of us took the shuttle back down because of time constraints. I'd like to return to this park and explore some of the other trails. I highly enjoyed the time we were there. I think I might have to invest in an Empire Pass if I am going to start going to state parks.

I'll be working on some of these photos soon. I liked this place.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Very cool! I'm so pleased that it worked out so well for you! Having lived within a half hour drive from the Glen for most of my life, I have the same sense of pride about there as I do Taughannock Falls and the Finger Lakes National Forest. There's a cemetery up on the rim of the gorge at the Glen that is a major staging area for Monarch migration in the fall! I hope to get up there to get some photos this year. From what I understand, it's quite a sight early in the morning before the butterflies have warmed up.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
firefly

Hello olmstead I was looking at your amazing photographs of watkins glen. wondering if you could help me out. I was wondering if you stayed /camping at the watkins glen state park? And if you could recommend a site number or loop to stay at. I'm from Canada and have never been in this area ( the closest I have been is Letchworth I love it there) I will be camping with a two-man tent and I do not need electricity. I am worried I will pick a site that is bad and I won't be able to put the tent stakes in the ground?( Letchworth is somtimes like that.) Is the ground uneven, rocky,dirt, sandy? are the site small ? Any description of what the loop are like. Looking at the beautiful photos it looks like a great photograph opportunity for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
olmstead
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 20D

Hey firefly, thanks for the nice complement, I appreciate it!

I camp at Watkins every summer. We always get the same site, so I can't speak for all of them but it's a really great facility. The only advice I'd give is that if you want a weekend, book now because sites go quickly. The place is very clean, and you won't have a problem with tent pitching at all. Each loop has it's own shower and bathroom facilities. You can also access the gorge from the "top down" if you want. Sites aren't cramped in my opinion, especially with a 2-person tent. Sounds like you've had some not so great experience at Letchworth? If so, I think you'll be happy with Watkins.

It's a really fun photo opp, the only time I wouldn't try to get pictures is on a sunny day around lunchtime. The gorge is otherwise easy on photographers b/c it is so deep that harsh sunlight doesn't reach down.

Hope this helps! Take care.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

This is good. The current lot seems to fill up pretty quick.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
SWCoulter
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 1D IIN, Canon 1D II

From Saturday June 27, 2009 during a visit from Minnesota

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shots Scott
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview