A tribute to Adam's Fire Tower

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

A tribute to Adam’s!
True I haven’t finished all the fire towers so why a tribute to one now? I guess the best reason would be its location. In my quest to become a 46er I’ve seen Adams fire tower from many peaks, its shining white roof stands out in the middle of a sea of green. The views from Adams tower are the best thus far and with out the tower there is no view. This past winter high winds has torn the roof from the tower and the cables are loose, so the fate once again lies in the hands of the state.

Adams Tower was built in 1917 and stands 47 feet tall, it was abandoned in 1972. In 2005 the Open Space Institute allowed the Department of Environmental Conservation to do some restoration work. Materials were air lifted to the summit and work was done by volunteers from the AmeriCorp Student Conservation Association, and supervised by the DEC. For more info and some old pictures from Lake Placid News read it here

Adams from Sky Light
its the white speck in the midle of the picture

from the trail to Allen

from the sand pit

the tower

from the other side

the Iron mines

one of the views

some of the peaks

If I only had a view like this
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

That last photo is a bit surreal - a window without a roof. Very nice.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

HaloGirl wrote:That last photo is a bit surreal - a window without a roof. Very nice.
Thanks,
I might have that printed and framed something about it makes me wonder!
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Great shots, I was there a few years ago when it still had a roof. I thought I read something recently that OSI was in the process of fixing it, along with the house at Adirondac and the giant smelter? Or is that what you mentioned and that's all there's going to be?

I hope they keep it under repair, it's a unique viewpoint and should be one of the towers to be saved. There's always a big debate about towers and people are very invested in their favorite tower. I say, if one needs to be torn down, it should be the one on Hurricane, it only mars the view there, and since the cab is locked (last time I was there, anyway) what's the point?
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

OSI granted the DEC permission to repair the tower and cabin. The tower repairs were completed in 2005. The cabin repair is still under repair, but now that the tower is in need of major repair so it's uncertain what will happen to the tower and cabin.

The smelter near the trailhead to Adam is under repair, I would like to see the old steam machinery behind the smelter rebuilt or at least pictures of what use to be there.

Since the fire on Hurricane destroyed all vegetation on the summit the tower is no longer need for a good view. I'm sure if the tower was restored the view would be much better, especially looking into Avalanche Pass.

Many people don't know about the tower on Stillwater without that tower, you have no view the bottom two sets of stairs is removed so you can’t get to the top.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wow... quite a view. Love that window shot.