Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

hobkyl wrote:Great photos. Nice to see the colors, I was hoping that they were at that point-and not just patchy. If all goes well I will be venturing into Keene Valley this weekend. With plans to hike either Sawteeth or Colvin and Blake.

Those towers are in the southern dacks, I've heard the color is better in the highpeaks area. All three peaks are nice hikes Sawteeth can be done in 1/2 to 3/4 of a day (I did it in the winter). Colvin and Blake will be a day hike Colvin has good views towards Ausable lake, Blake has little to no view. I just did Dial, Nippletop, Colvin, Blake and back over Colvin in August with a couple friends it was a long day but great hike. Have fun and looking foward to your picks.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
charlesm
Rookie

Great pictures.Here is a panoramic I took on Snowy Mtn. Sunday.
Attachments
Indian Lake from Snowy Mtn..jpg
Indian Lake from Snowy Mtn..jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 6641 times
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice pan
my flickr gallery
46er interview
charlesm
Rookie

Found a great site on fire towers in the Adirondacks while doing some research,wanted to share with everybody.Snowy Mtn.did have a cabin on it. http://www.beebehill.info/towers/towers5.htm#hamilton :D
Frank Broughton
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Fuji Fine Pix s602z (advanced way beyond its time)

The October 2009 New York State Conservationist magazine has a cover story on NY fire towers. The article's title is "Standing Tall." This year mark's 100 years for NY's Fire Towers.

It is even online for free: http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/58684.html
Frank Broughton
Frank Broughton Times - My adventures, scenic photography, opinion, tech tips & more
Zoar Valley - All About Zoar Valley - A Western New York Gem
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

funny, was just reading it yesterday.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Hunter fire tower is located on Hunter Mountain in the Catskill. We took the shortest of four routes “Becker Hollow Trail” which happens to be the steepest route. You gain 2210 feet in elevation over 2.2 miles with the first and last tenth or so being flat. The mountain was in the clouds when we arrived around 9:30am. They did break up as we climbed but by the time we mated it was again in the clouds. By the time we got out the mountain was clear as seen in the last picture. This wasn’t the first time nor will it be the last where the views were less than hoped for, such is New Your weather. When we started hiking the peaks we said any views we got were a bonus to the trip the fun and enjoyment is in getting there.

The trail hear off route 214

First sign of the top

First sight of the tower

Cabin & Tower

Looking down on the cabin

Looking up the tower

Departing view

The tower as seen from route 23A, and the way we went up
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice photos!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook