Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Owls Head mountain
Located North West of the village of Long Lake, this hike is 6.2 miles round trip with an elevation change of 1150 feet. The tower is 35 feet tall and erected in 1919, it was abandoned by the state in 1970 as with most of the towers in the Dacks. The tower was restored to public use in 2004 by the DEC and friends of the tower. The trail is easy hiking with little gain until you reach the remains of the fire observer’s cabin at 2.8 miles. We hiked this on April 17th and there was still 3 to 4 feet of snow, we did some post holeing and should have had snowshoes and crampons (would have been easier). When we reached the trailhead I saw a large bird leaving the trees on the lake, I didn’t have my big lens on or binoculars. The sun was just right to not get a good ID on the bird by my guess would be an Eagle or Osprey. I know eagles have been spotted in the Long Lake area.

A large knot

1st view of the tower

through the trees

the tower

Lake and mountains

another view

A couple different shots

survey marker
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

beautiful views!
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photos Jim!!! Is that Colden that I spy in the distance in picture 5?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thanks Matt,
Yes thats Colden you spy also in the picture is the Santi range, Adam, Marshall, Gray, Algonquin, Little Marcy, Marcy, and Skylight and I sure there's more. It's hard to tell what's what because their so far out. Colden is about 81 miles as the crow flies based on my topo map.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Gore Mountain Fire Tower
The trail length has changed from 9 miles to 11.6 miles round trip. Elevation change is 2533 the summit elevation is 3583. The trail is very pleasant to hike with many waterfalls between mile 1 and 2, the trail is mostly rock and root free making it a pleasure to come down. The last ½ to ¾ mile is on the ski resort service road and probably the hardest part of the hike but the views of the high peaks are well worth the frequent stops to catch your breath as you take in the beauty. As you can see the tower is covered in modern electronic junk. So once you see the tower go back to the warming hut and enjoy the views. The chair lift runs from late August to October making it less than a ¼ mile to the summit (for Matt) but you miss out on the waterfalls and views.

Loose stone note leaves are changing already

spider web and birch bark

Monarch butterfly

the high peaks, under exposed to kill haze

one of the chair lifts

any skiers among us

the lift to the top (for Matt)

hate to say it but thats the fire tower

the lodge as seen from the warming hut
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice TR and photos Jim!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

thanks Kyle
my flickr gallery
46er interview
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

wonderful shots.
Just looking at them let me want to do that hike :D
Sooner or later I have to get to the area for some hiking
Yvonne Baur Photography