Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Nice photos. Eerie hotel.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Red Hill Fire Tower
located near the town of Sundown (no town just a few houses). You can read more about it here

The tower

The Cabin

The views

The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thank You Matt and Angel
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Goodnow Tower
Near the town of Newcomb, this tower is on private land owned by the College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse. The trail is a self guided nature walk with interpretive pamphlets available at the trailhead (empty when I was their). The trail has been rerouted to make it a gentler climb but adding .4 miles to the length. Roundtrip distance is 3.8 miles with an elevation change of 1040 feet. It’s open from sunrise to sunset, this tower offers great views of the high peaks but off in the distance, bring a map of the high peaks to figure out the peaks. You can also see Vanderwhacker tower from here with the aid of a good zoom lens or binoculars. The tower was built in 1922 and fully restored, the observation deck is open for viewing.

I belive this was a storage building for the rangers.

Goodnow Tower

The map showing the surrounding ranges

Vanderwhacker Mountain,
sorry for the hazy shot

Vanderwhacker Tower shot at 500mm
no CP filter to cut the haze

The view towards the high peaks

A local resident of the rocks
in all my trips to the dacks this was the first snake we ever saw.

another first, we've never seen pine cones this color
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Wakely Fire tower is the second tallest tower in the forest preserve. It sits atop Wakely Mountain which is only 256 feet short of being a 4000 foot peak (46 peaks 4000 plus). In the last 1.1 miles you will gain 1194 feet. From the cab you have a 360 degree view and can see Blue Mt. and Snowy Mt. towers. The ranger cabin is the best I’ve seen thus far, the inside has been redone and the cabin was unlocked when I was their. Trees around the helipad are being cleared out, (I hope to restore it). WARNING keep your head low when climbing the steel angle iron hurts.

The Helipad

Wakely Tower

The Cabin

Inside the cabin

The West Canada Wilderness

The high peaks with the helipad in lower corner
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Snowy Mt. is a pleasure to climb and a great workout for the high peaks. It only lacks 101 feet from being a 4000 foot peak. The elevation gain is 2106 feet, which compares to most 46er peaks. The tower has been restored many times and you have a 360 view from the cab. Most of Indian Lake can be seen as well as Wakely Mt. and Blue Mt. fire towers. The last half to three quarter miles is the hardest but the views are well worth the effort. To my knowledge their has never been a cabin up here.

Snowy Tower

Looking north east from the ground, Rt 30 is seen

the south end of Indian Lake

The high peaks (not a good picture had the iso to high)

Love the 500mm lens, (shot from the tower)

more of the high peaks different view
my flickr gallery
46er interview
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The wood paneling inside that cabin looks like its in awesome condition for being such an old place.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photos. Nice to see the colors, I was hoping that they were at that point-and not just patchy. If all goes well I will be venturing into Keene Valley this weekend. With plans to hike either Sawteeth or Colvin and Blake.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook