Scaling Images

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Here's a drastic scenario...
Okay---- say you had an awesome photo you wanted to blow up and hang above your mantle. The problem... it's only 600x800 pixels! That will barely work for a 4x6.
Here's a photo at that size:
I want it to be 11x14 at 300 dpi! Yikes!

So I ran all the available Smart Scaler plugins on this image to see how well they do. This is a drastic case, but it does show how well they work.
I also included an example of how photoshop would do as well.

http://www.nyfalls.com/posts/scaling/scaling.zip

It's all in this tiff image. Load it up in photoshop or paintshop and you'll see the original image. Start turning on the layers to see what each plugin will do.
I looks like Alien Skin does the best job to my eyes.

I'll post crops later if I have time.

Please don't link this tiff image anywhere else as it would kill my bandwidth - thanks.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

100% crops of the 3300 pixel wide enlargement.... that's 5.5 times larger.

Left to right: Photoship image size, Alien Skin Blow Up, Extensis Smartscale, Genuine Fractals Print Pro
ImageImageImageImage

Which one is better? Back away from your monitor and see.
olmstead
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 20D

If you're aiming for noise/artifact reduction and redendering most like the original, I think Genuine Fractals Pro did the best job. I guess it depends on what your specific objectives are. The first two look like they are extrapolating too much from the original. Hope this helps.