Recommendations for a quick weekend trip?

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

I've never been to the Adirondacks so far, but this year I want to spent at least a long weekend in the area.
When is the best time to visit?
I would love to hike, but only the more strenuous ones.
And where should I camp?
I hope someone can help a Newbie like me to find something suitable.

I also thought about winter camping somewhere there, but the only open campground I found is Old Forge camping resort.
Any other ideas, where I should eventually stay in February?
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yeah! Glad you will make it up there, and am sure you'll enjoy it.

I use these boards to answer many of my questions regarding hiking, camping, lodging, food...etc.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14721

Also adkhighpeaks.com is also very informative.

It would appear that the Loj is your best bet unless you want to hike out into the wild and set up a tent. From the Loj many hikes could be made. Some strenuous and some not as much. Everything from Marcy to Mt Jo. Beautiful area of the Adirondacks and the majority of the high peaks are centered in this area making a day hike out of multiple peaks or one long hike to Marcy or other ones that are further out. There is also plenty of "flat" hiking around here. A hike out to Avalanche pass is well worth the effort.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide

hobkyl wrote:Yeah! Glad you will make it up there, and am sure you'll enjoy it.
It was on my bucket list for quite a while, and this year I'll give it a try.
I guess I'll plan for a long weekend in summer with lots of hiking and hopefully can arrange something for February.
hobkyl wrote: I use these boards to answer many of my questions regarding hiking, camping, lodging, food...etc.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14721

Also adkhighpeaks.com is also very informative.
Thanks a lot, I will have a closer look at this site tonight. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
I was a little bit overwhelmed with all these guide books you can buy in outdoor stores and wasn't sure which one I should take.
hobkyl wrote: It would appear that the Loj is your best bet unless you want to hike out into the wild and set up a tent. From the Loj many hikes could be made. Some strenuous and some not as much. Everything from Marcy to Mt Jo. Beautiful area of the Adirondacks and the majority of the high peaks are centered in this area making a day hike out of multiple peaks or one long hike to Marcy or other ones that are further out. There is also plenty of "flat" hiking around here. A hike out to Avalanche pass is well worth the effort.
Is it allowed to camp in the backcountry or do I need a backcountry permit?
I need it a lot of times when backpacking in the desert Southwest, so I guess here in NY State it'll be the same.
If planning a camping trip is too complicated, I have to look for something affordable.
And hiking in winter, do I need crampons?

Sorry, lots of questions....
Yvonne Baur Photography

hobkyl

Youre welcome, I know I found them to be of a great help over the years.

If its just you and you dont intend on staying in the same location for a period of more than 3 days.... you dont need a permit to camp in the backcountry. Here is some useful information about camping...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

In the summer all the campgrounds will be open and you can pick and choose what best fits your needs. There are also equally as many primitive sites and lean tos scattered around the park, which are first come first serve. Due to complaints that Ive read regarding the campgrounds, and my uneasiness of backcountry camping alone, Ive always opted to stay in an affordable room at an outdated motel.

From my understanding, in the winter...the Loj is the only available camping with the exception of backcountry or leantos. Those, however would require hiking out to and setting up-in several feet of snow-that would be cumbersome to say the least. I've never winter camped (although I would like to someday).

When I hike in the winter, I use snowshoes with aggressive crampons. I dont carry additional crampons. You might need them if you were attempting to climb a near vertical face where the snowshoes wouldnt offer enough grabbing power...but for the most part...snowshoes work just fine. Ive been up Marcy, Algonquin, and attempted Colden in just snowshoes.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

A lot of questions here but over due time we can get you the right answers. Thank you Kyle you’ve covered a good deal, I don’t get on the computer much (wife’s on face book).
Let’s see if I can help the ADKfourm is a great place to find info and get answers. Along with views from the top for trail conditions.
The biggest thing to remember is this: The weather can change drastically in 20 minutes, the higher you climb the colder it gets and once near or above tree line expect winds to be 10 plus mph (any time of year, I’ve been in 3-4 feet of snow in mid JUNE), even on a day hike make sure you have what you need to spend the night in any weather condition. Now I’m not saying pack for all seasons but be aware of the forecast and extended forecast AND KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS don’t be afraid to call it quits and head out (I’ve done this at least 3 times working on my 46er) You can camp any place in the Dacks under 3500ft and 150 feet from any trail or water source, (on major trails you’ll see no camping signs OBEY THEM) If you stay more than 3 days you’ll need a permit.
Hiking in winter (I love it and prefer it) we carry crampons and snowshoes (been a few times we left one or both behind and wish we had them) again the higher you go the icier it gets and above tree line not much snow but lots of ice. Not knowing you or your capabilities I don’t recommend solo hiking but see it from time to time. REMEMBER YOUR UPTO 20 MILES FROM HELP AND CELL PHONES DON’T WORK IN MOST PLACES.
Hope I’m not putting 2nd thoughts in anybody’s head but in my years in the dacks I’ve seen and heard of hikers getting hurt and lost.
For a good look at a winter peak check out picture 20 on my 46er interview
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
americanhero
Guide
Guide

First of all: thanks a lot for your detailed infos. I really appreciate it and it will help me a lot.
And yes, I always have a lot of questions when planning ahead for an area I don't know. :D
Good to know that I can camp for a couple of nights without a permit. That' s always the first thing I want to know.

Weather and weather concerns are good to think of. And I'm always totally concerned and check the weather radars daily. Especially when I'm plannning a backpacking trip or a hike. I'm used to such conditions because of my several trips to Utah, where you also can have all kinds of severe weather. I hiked a couple of times during a zero percent chance of severe storms and found me in the middle of nowhere in an electric storm with no place to hide. It can happen, even with the best preparation.
Do you know a good local website to check the weather radar?
I have a few sites, but they aren't covering the area in a satisfying way.
I'm also used to hike in areas without cellphone coverage.
And yes, I also quit a lot of times due to the weather. Better safe than sorry. For me safety is in the first place. No hike or backpack without the right conditions.

Yeah, I'm a solo hiker for quite a while and did a lot of backpacks in extremely remote areas in the middle of nowhere. I've done a lot of strenuous hikes by myself and just started to prepare for another long backpacking trip this summer(40+ miles).
Right know I'm thinking of heading to the ADKs during Spring Break in March. I'm not sure, if it's a good time for the area, but it's a whole week without classes. ;)
Yvonne Baur Photography

hobkyl

There's Jim :D....he's a great source too :up:. Tell that wifey of yours her FB is cutting into your NYFalls time!

I'm a solo hiker for the most part too. I generally find myself with money and availability to go last minute and no one else can go. Not to go against Jims advice, because it is sound (he has been there and done it), but from one solo hiker to another....and especially since you've been on rugged and varied terrain out west....I would say you'd be safe in the ADKS. Of course don't take anything for granted, and always be prepared to stay the night if you need too as well as notify someone of your plans and sign in on the trail register.

March should be a great time to go.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide

hobkyl wrote: I'm a solo hiker for the most part too. I generally find myself with money and availability to go last minute and no one else can go. Not to go against Jims advice, because it is sound (he has been there and done it), but from one solo hiker to another....and especially since you've been on rugged and varied terrain out west....I would say you'd be safe in the ADKS. Of course don't take anything for granted, and always be prepared to stay the night if you need too as well as notify someone of your plans and sign in on the trail register.

March should be a great time to go.

Maybe it sounds crazy, but I always have an emergency bivvy in my backpack, even on smaller day hikes.
And good to know about March, so I can plan a little bit ahead.

Any recommendations for Topo maps? Does USGS offer something?
Yvonne Baur Photography