Pictures of the Adirondacks

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We absolutely loved this hike! Not a lot of elevation gain/loss but sort of lengthy. (7 miles) If you want to see waterfalls, this is the hike for you. If you're more in to bagging peaks, the trail over Cascade and Porter might be more enjoyable for you.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Your pictures are amazing... especially that first one. It was your pictures that got me interested in this hike. Then I saw that Rainbow Falls and the others were here. I see there is a Lake Rd that could get us to the end of the lower lake. I am not sure if you can park there or not. If so we could walk towards the falls. Otherwise 7 miles isn't that bad, especially since you said it is relatively flat. Thanks again for sharing.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I would also recommend this area, as there are many (or a few at least) nice-looking (never stayed in one though) B&B's in Keene Valley. For an actual hotel, you might have to go as far as Elizabethtown, not sure.

The hike into the Ausable Club land is very nice, you have to park outside the club grounds and walk up the road to the club, then past the tennis courts to the trail entrance where the gate is. The great unwashed (read: you and me and other non-members) can't drive past the gate. I have seen taxis drop hikers off there though, but the taxi companies might have an understanding with the club, I think they frown upon the commoners driving up there to make drop offs. Once you see the place, you'll understand all this talk of the high-brow looking down on everyone else, but I admit I admire them for letting the public in, they don't have to. To gain more understanding, this club used to own half of the top of Mt Marcy and a large chunk of land around the area. They have obviously reduced their land holdings greatly, but still own two of the nicest lakes in the mountains.

Anyway, my usual route once you've hiked up from the parking lot, is to walk in the trail along the river, passing many nice waterfalls and other things to look at, depending on your hiking ability and time. Cathedral Rocks and Bear Run are nice to see, as is Lost Lookout. But those require a bit more elevation gain. If you stay on the river trail, you'll go past Beaver Meadow Falls and Wedge Brook Falls, plus the river itself. Once at the dam, you'll get nice views down the lake and of Indian Head and the surrounding mountains. From there, it's a short walk up to Rainbow Falls, a must see. Once I'm done with that, I usually walk out the road, remembering to make way for the private cars of the members driving to the lake for lunch. They also run a shuttle bus which you'll see more often. They used to allow hikers to ride this bus for a small fee, but they had to stop that when it would fill up with hikers and leave no room for members. So, just wave politely as it drives by.

On the way out the road, it's a pretty easy skip over to Gill Brook Flume and Artists Falls from the road. The rest of the hike out the road is pretty uneventful, but you may see a deer or two if you're lucky. Round trip is just a bit over 10 miles as I recall, but mostly small hills and flat.

The second day you can spend in the Keene Valley area, as Roaring Brook falls is a short hike, it's parking lot is right across from the one you use to get to the club road. Chapel Pond is right there, and the Beer Walls is a short but fairly steep hike over from the road, nice views there and a waterfall when the water is running enough. The flume on the Bouquet is right off the road, and Split Rock is just down route 9 a little ways.

There are several fairly decent restaurants in Keene Valley and further up the road in Keene itself, and Lake Placid is about a 20-30 minute drive away.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

LGD, thank you for the detailed information. Should we hike in a polo and khakis? It sounds like a great place, and also the surrounding locations. I have seen many of your other posts, you sure have been all over the North East. I wish it was more local for me.

Thanks, Dave
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

lol, no, there is no hiking dress code, and I may have made it sound a bit more stuffy than it is. For the most part, you won't see any club members once you leave the tennis court area, except maybe at the lake. And unless they mention it, you wouldn't know otherwise for the most part.

Having said that, the Niagara area is a great place too, but just a different experience.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Chris, this was one of my favorite places too. Thanks for sharing it. The water was much lower than what your pictures show. We ended up doing 12 miles. I forgot to turn on my camera's GPS until we were around the beaver meadows but the GPS showed that we had a change in elevation of about 700 ft. Probably more like 1000 since Rainbow falls would most likely have been the highest point that we were at and the parking lot would have been the lowest, neither of which I recorded.

Twice the trail collapsed out from under me. The first time I fell to the ground and I think I injured my knees from that. We were on a section where the trail is several inches wide and soil was soft. It was also where the trail was maybe 100 ft above the river. Sort of a scary experience but thankfully I felt it happening and fell towards the mountain and not away from it. The downside is the rest of the trip my knees were aching. They still are.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Glad to hear you had a good time. Strange though about the trail problems, usually they are very well maintained in that area.
LGD
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Twice the trail collapsed out from under me.
:shock:

Glad you're ok! I remember how close to the edge of the gorge that trail was!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau