Upgrading Cameras

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with a Canon too.
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

Awesome, those are great cameras... only thing that really bugs me on them is the little tiny buttons under the screen and the low resolution screen... nothing that hurts the quality of the images it takes though, that 17-85mm is a great lens as well, good choice!
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

Welcome to the Canon side...hope you enjoy it.
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

I would really like a new camera. Capture Rochester has definitely re-sparked my interest in photography. However, my eyes glaze over when I start reading all of the technical information on this thread.

First of all, I don't know if I should just get a nicer point & shoot or make the transition to SLR. I took a black/white photography class back in college (more than 10 years ago), so I've forgotten most of the technical aspects of shooting (F-stop, etc). The manual setting on my current camera gives me some direction on what it thinks is good lighting, and I'm getting better at playing with that, but I'm more comfortable with something that I can figure out intuitively without reading a 100-page manual.

I have an interest in trying macro photography, but I'm guessing that I'd need an SLR to get the right lens.

I'd appreciate any advice you all have. :shrug:
Matt
President
President

what do you have now?
What's your budget?
What subject of photography are you most interested in?
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

I have a Sony Cyber-shot, 4.1 megapixels, smart-zoom DSC-P73 that is four years old (actually my husband's camera). My old film camera was an Olympus.

Budget... That's a good question. I guess I'd prefer not to spend more than $400 (and less is always better), but I want a camera that will last me a few years and not make me wish later that I'd spent more now. So I guess my absolute max would be $600.

I tend to focus on landscapes, nature, looking for an angle that hasn't been caught. I am interested in macro photography. My current camera has a macro option that lets me get a decent "actual size" photo, but not anything like the zoomed-in photos that I loved on CR. I also take the standard family & friends photos, but these are more for the memory books.

Oh, and unless my husband gets a separate new camera, it would be nice to get good video as well.
Matt
President
President

Okay... I don't think an SLR would be a good step for you now.

I have used this camera and think it would fit you well. (my brother owns one and he likes it.)
[amazon=B000Q3043Y]Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS[/amazon]

Here's why:
8-Megapixel (more megapixels doesn't mean better for point and shoots. 8 is a great compromise)
Canon 12x zoom (36-432mm equiv.) with Optical Image Stabilization (not the widest angle, but good for wide shots- and zoom is nice)
Super Macro closeup focus to 0 inches (if it's in front of the lens, this camera can focus on it. No matter how close)
Articulated 2.5-inch Vari-angle color LCD flips forward and rotates 270° (this will allow you to get those creative angles)
Auto and full Manual modes (allowing you to either point and shoot or learn manual)
Movie w/stereo sound (DVD-quality clips)
It has a built-in flash, but you can attach speedlights if you want to (great for learning lighting)