Passport?

The place to talk about the world famous waterfall attraction, the tourism, and the condition of each side of the border.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

So is a passport needed to get over to Canada now?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I'm not sure. If that law isn't in effect yet, it's coming along sooner than later. My wife and I got ours last April in anticipation of it.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

It will be starting in January. My wife and I got ours for our Alaskan trip, we'll be heading home from Canada. It only took 3 weeks to get them.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President

I guess I can hold out no longer.
ShanaD

That means I am going tho have to start the paper work. :lol:
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

As of Dec 21, 2007, passport requirements have been once again delayed meaning that US citizens arriving in Canada by land or water do not need a passport until at least summer 2009.
from http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatrav ... border.htm

You'll always have more trouble getting back into the US than going to Canada. It's probably a safe bet to expect to bring your birth certificate along with that license. I heard talks a while back about having an exception pass for people close to the border, which may include most of NY. I have always wanted to get a Nexus pass (http://www.getnexus.com/) that allows the background checks and everything to be performed when you apply for the pass, then you can just breeze through the border. It's only $50 for like 5/6 years.
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
ShanaD

Only if you are born American. I always get so nervous passing the border. Matt makes fun of me when the customs guy was like "where do you live?" and I was all "AMERICA!" I couldn't even say Rochester, NY I just blurted out "AMERICA!" like a fool. We obviously got back in but I did get a funny look from the guy, good thing I had my passport. Now i let Matt answer first and I just say what he says.
Matt
President
President

I always feel like I'm sneaking in an illegal immagrant when I go through customs with Shana.