Anyone snowshoe?

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Technically...you could.....
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Matt wrote:can I just tie tennis racquets to my feet?

It would work to a point,

also depends on the snow.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

Matt wrote:can I just tie tennis racquets to my feet?
If you were worried about looking like an ass....I'd forget the tennis racquets. ;)
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm thinking it would work on any ladies that play tennis.
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

Matt wrote:I'm thinking it would work on any ladies that play tennis.
Yeah lots of ladies playing tennis in the woods with a few feet of snow. :lol:
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

I do snowshoe now and then in winter. Mostly in Allegheny SP, Letchworth or on frozen Lake Erie. It's really funny.
Matt, you should buy a pair of snowshoes in a store like Eastern Mountain Sports or somewhere else where you can put them on. See, if you like the feeling with the shoes.
Good crampons are important to get a perfect grip, especially on icy underground.
And not every snowshoe is eligible for you. You need a pair that really fits and supports your weight.
You won't be happy with a pair that is too short or maybe too large.
And don't buy the cheapest ones, they mostly don't meet the claim.

What kind of trails are you planning to use?
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Noting too crazy... defined park trails. Probably blazing on fresh snow, no dramatic inclines.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

americanhero wrote: Matt, you should buy a pair of snowshoes in a store like Eastern Mountain Sports or somewhere else where you can put them on.
I would suggest trying them on at a "local" store but I wouldnt pay their prices unless you want to buy "local". Get an idea for what you want...EMS, Dicks, (Gander?) then buy online for the best price.

Try Backcountry (my fav...great service and they stand 100% behind anything they sell for life....even after the manufacturers warranty is long gone). Also available are Moosejaw, Campmor, Altrec, Sierra Trading Post, Overstock....to name a few.

Matt wrote:Noting too crazy... defined park trails. Probably blazing on fresh snow, no dramatic inclines.
You probably dont need anything to special for tooling around. The ones that you are looking at more than likely would be sufficient based on this type of use. And defined park trails may very well have already been blazed with the occasional fluff on top.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook