Rochester's Lower/Middle Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Rochester's Lower/Middle Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
17%
2 - Could be better
17%
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
33%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 6
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Bill_K
Now you have me wondering. There was two feet of snow and i watched this one younger guy walk the basin as mentioned. He had no ropes or walking stick. Maybe it is not passable with equipment. He did say they call in the goat trail because it is very narrow at points (and steep). Still I imagine it would be a great shot. From that point of view you would have the falls on your left (east) and a huge wall of ice on your right(west). You can't get nearly as close to the High Falls.

David
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Best shots i have seen of those falls, period.

people climb down there all the time to fish.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Maybe it is worth an outing come Spring. Matt, your mention of high noon being not an ideal time seems right on. But maybe a late afternoon with Early May "celery green" colors might draw people and may offer the late sun on the falls with a dark/shadowed wall to the right/west. David
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Not sure it was wise, but ventured into the ice beast in -4º weather. First time the camera has ever said enough because of the cold. Had to warm it up to continue. In hind sight I think i would not shoot so slow a shutter speed to try and capture more detail. What a snow making machine!
David

HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Love the lighting in that second one! Make sure you add these to the January photo challenge. :)
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wow! Great shots David! But...Holy Bleep are you bleeping nuts? Wow...I don't think I would venture along the west side of the river...however it looks like there's more ice/land from last week...but there isn't much forgivance between the river and gorge wall. Nonetheless great shots and perspective. :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Beautiful!
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks for commenting, you guys. The cold was harder than the hike though. Got a pair of those waders from Gander Mountain for $29 in case i fell through, but never went through or got wet once. The path down has two turns that make you pause. Once down you follow the foot tracks that follow the water line where the growth line meets the water. The hardest part was having to use a monkey wrench to punch through layers of ice to get 40-50 feet up to get the icicle shot. I hope someone else does this. Really a blast. David