More food of China

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The closest thing to the Sichuan pork dish i am able to find.. is spicy shredded pork over rice on the back page of the menu at Chopsticks in Henrietta... though it is NOT the same dish and I haven't really asked around for the right one.
I NEED to find a good noodle place here. I need Beef Noodles!!!
Matt
President
President

Sick and in the mountains, I opt for this corn-fried rice, which is what really old people and babies eat. All starches and no flavor.
Puked it all up later.
Matt
President
President

Another day in the mountains living off of fluids, but in the evening, passing by a Dico's was just too tempting (yes, they even have this Chinese KFC rip-off way up in the mountains). Dico's is cheaper and more potent (with flavor) than KFC. That chicken is spicy... it wouldn't go over well in the USA. I prefer it to KFC. Pieces are small though.

Puked it all up.
Matt
President
President

Japanese food!

Beef and noodle soup.

Beef teriyaki kabobs. I have had teriyaki meats many times in the USA... this one really rocked my world. Authentic teriyaki is less sweet, more salty, potent. it coated the beef and transformed its flavor into a whole new experience.

I really enjoyed eating at this place... I hear there is one in NYC.

This dish is a skillet of beef and rice, topped with corn. The beef hits the table raw, being cooked by the heat of the skillet. I need to mix it around to cook it evenly. On the side are a broth for adding to the dish, pickles, and a teriyaki syrup. The hot flavorful beef and the heartiness of the rice made this a powerful dish compared to steak I have had in the past. The rice just soaked up the sauces and beef flavor and it melded into one, with the corn nibs offering a touch of different texture. I would love to eat this again in the US.

Matt
President
President

Stopped into a mini-mart and grabbed this ice cream novelty. I would never buy a chinese brand of ice cream after a bad experience last year (left a popsicle out overnight and it maintained it's shape) but Nestle is trustworthy enough.
What we have here is a ball of soft, dumpling-like dough (uncooked and very soft) with a vanilla ice cream center. Very unusual and taking some getting used to, but only because of the dough.. the flavor is nonthreatening.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Awesome photos. Noticing little or no seafood. Not something you like, or not much available?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Well, this was all inland/mountainous, so seafood is not a big part of the diet. There is a popular chain of fried fish like KFC and usual freshwater dishes.
I'm grossed out by seafood, it's looks and smell. I don't care for the taste at all, and shellfish are utterly disgusting to me. Shanghai, being on the coast, had a lot of seafood on menus, but was easy to avoid.
Matt
President
President

Peking Duck!!!

Chicken breast covered in oil and some green condiment. Not bad, but I'm not a fan of cold chicken.

What a beautiful sight... the roasted duck with its crispy skin is a result of the high fat content melting between the skin and muscle and turning the baking into a frying.
[img2]http://www.nyfalls.com/posts/china-food2/food79.jpg[/img2]

Duck is all fatty dark meat... delicious.
[img2]http://www.nyfalls.com/posts/china-food2/food80.jpg[/img2]

Take a piece of duck, some pickles, drip some duck sauce on it (kind of a nutty tang to it), and wrap it all up in a thin wheat pancake. :up: :up:

Soup made from the bones of our duck.