Bucktail Falls - Onondaga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Bucktail Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
67%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 3
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

I took three of pictures of Bucktail falls and merged them together in a HDR program. Here is the results:
DSC_0060_65_70_HDR HD sml.jpg
DSC_0060_65_70_HDR HD sml.jpg (529.87 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
Marty

ps: If you want to hike above this falls? Go back out to road and turn left, walk up maybe a 100 feet and on you're left is the "old" road. You can hike all the way up to the swamp. There are numerous falls & places to photograph up there. Creek walking could be tricky because of all the dead trees in creek, so be careful ! Spring thaw would be best up there, late spring early summer the upper falls do not have much water flow.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I think I prefer the original photo better, but both are nice.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

It was something I wanted to try and my recent photos of Bucktail were the best I had to work with. My original seems to me to have more depth and better colors overall. Thanks for you're opinion !
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I tried several HDR programs and overall feel that they produce a artificial look or lack of detail.

I think you might find taking two images and overlapping them in Photoshop or a similar app. Next set your eraser to 20% or so and erase away sections. So if you have your bright image on top then you would erase away the sections that are too bright. With the eraser tool you can slowly erase away until the desired level is achieved.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thanks Des: It's just something I wanted to try. I don't plan on using it all the time. I read that it works better of buildings.
Thanks anyways !
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I was here at 11:30 am today. I was trying out my ND fixed filters to see what the results would be?
This photo: 1/6 sec, F5.0, ISO 100, +ND 16 filter.
BTF 0052 HD sml.jpg
BTF 0052 HD sml.jpg (498.72 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
I tried a HDR photo even out color throughout photo.
BTF 0048_50_52 HDR_sml.jpg
BTF 0048_50_52 HDR_sml.jpg (481.16 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
Marty
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Marty, nice set of photos. The water looks like the right amount of time. It is smooth but not overly smooth. The only thing you might want to try is a smaller f stop. Maybe 11.0. That will help sharpen the foreground trees. If you do raise the f stop try focusing about a third of the distance of the frame. The downside might be that the shutter speed make be too slow at that setting.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thanks Des for tips ! I'll keep that in mind at the next falls under same type of conditions & settings.