Bug-Off 2014

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I have been using wither natural light or a cheap LED ring light. I haven't had any luck with my TTL metered flash in macro mode, but I think I should invest in a large reflector to attach to it.

Close view of Red-legged locust
red-legged-locust.jpg
red-legged-locust.jpg (182.72 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
Bald-faced hornet (these thing can, and will, sting multiple times)
bald-faced-hornet.jpg
bald-faced-hornet.jpg (119.81 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
Mosquito
mosquito.jpg
mosquito.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Well it's almost October 1st where I am. I just want to say that this month's challenge was a lot of fun for me. It pushed me to go to some new places, both here in Bangkok and in Singapore, and some of the images others posted in this challenge were truly beautiful -- quite something to say about bugs!! The extra practice also taught me more about my equipment!!

Andy
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

yeah, it was definitely fun to get out with a camera and an objective. Despite hundreds of mosquito bites, I got a bit more familiar with macro. I still suck at it though. I'm trying to capture some decent macro pics of rings to sell on ebay and for the life of me, I can't get anything right. More practice needed, I guess.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Matt, for rings you might consider using the focus stacking technique, and determine the in-focus points. It worked well for me in my ring photo test.

I want to get a piece of black glass (and maybe white glass) to set the rings on for the photos. I think that would make beautiful reflections.