I lost my job

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

So... the career I had for 14 years has let me go. In a way, it was me that acted as a catalyst of my own obsolescence. Not directly involved in the generation of revenue, I was one of the first to go when the company hit financial critical mass. My job was instead about efficiency, technical knowhow, process and planning expertise, and well... outsourcing.... which... I'm sure some of my hands-on IT-related tasks will then be in my absence.

I have helped sculpt the company I was let go from. And when I look around at this website, the furniture in my apartment, my car, the books on my shelf, my hobbies, and my friends, the company has deeply formed me. It's worse than a divorce. It's like a death of a large part of myself. It's a loss I don't know I can handle easily. I feel so melded into that specific career. One in which I was spread thin across several disciplines. A career that was essential to operations of a small business in the shadows of hundreds of larger ones, trying to latch on to technology as its primary advantage, while doing old fashioned translation for business. There are not very many companies that work like that, and there certainly are less that have vacancies for someone like me.

I seem to be getting a lot of honest feedback about my resume and talents. Is that enough? Is the ability to impress with a well-rounded resume enough to land a job that will make me sound and happy, one in which I don't need to give up my home, my lifestyle, and my hobbies, including this very website? Is "impressive" enough? Is being "smart" and perhaps a little talented enough? In this job market? In Upstate NY?

So, as I suffer the loss, I need to work. I still show up every day as the clock ticks down to my eventual goodbye. I'm trying to record my tasks; leave instructions; jot down logins; get others up to speed. I can pass along knowledge, but I can't pass along the experience, the ability, and the intelligence needed to keep things moving forward.

My boss handed out papers for everyone to hang up in their office. "WWMD?" What Would Matt Do? As tribute to me as a decision maker, and as the company conscience. It's encouraging at least.

If anyone has any leads, please let me know.

I actually have a few resumes:
General management / IT

Travel / Tourism
Last edited by Kelly on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: activated link
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

You are a survivor matt. You have your hand in so many things. I am confident you will find something that will challenge you and make you happy. It is hard to adjust no question. Obviously you were key, and you were productive.

David
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Though I can't give advice as to what to do now, I can understand your situation, at least from a theoretical stand point. I've been with this company, doing the same job for what will be 30 years next year. I've settled in, put down roots, I can't imagine starting a new job or career at this point. Though in my position, there is no one to fill the gap if I leave, not really anyway. I hope to retire from this job when the time comes.

But I agree with ApproachingLight, you have many talents, any one of which could be a new career path for you.
LGD
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

So sorry to hear this. :( I hope you latch on somewhere soon. I went through what you're going through now back in 2010.
It sounds like you're doing well not to burn bridges where you're currently at getting the company prepped as well as it can be in the post-Matt era. Who knows, they may realize they need you back.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

Matt:
Sorry to hear you're news. It looks like you already have a position in travel/tourism that's great! Maybe you could work for yourself as a consultant for other companies? In need of you're services for short terms employment. You never know, one of them may want to keep you on full time.
I wish you all the best in your endeavors.
Marty
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Well, I have no prospects now, but i really just finished up a resume that Kelly says "breaks all rules"
Is that a good thing?

So I just submitted my resume to Monster and will be working on other outlets. And applying to things I hope I can get. My issue is that my talents are all over the place. And I really can work in a variety of management positions. But staffing businesses and website just don't work that way. You need one Title and one talent.

My dream is to work coordinating tourism efforts somewhere in upstate NY... in fact... staying in NY is critical to keeping these websites going. I know i can get a job out west or south.. but I kinda like it here. I think that I have great experience with marketing and tourism (just look at this site!) and can probably add quite a bit with my IT, management, photography, other odd talents. I just need to find that opening!

Thanks for sharing my resume and plea on facebook... sharing helps the word get circulated!
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Matt,

I know what you are experiencing. I was let go from my first job out of college. I had been married for only 3 months, just bought a new house, a relatively new car, it was the week before Thanksgiving, and I had little savings. The company had been purchased and the headquarters moved down south, leaving me feeling lost.

It ended up being a good thing. I moved on to my current job which I have had now for 10 years. I did acquire some debt but was able to develop a website for some income to hold me over. It sounds like you have similar abilities and hopefully will find a job quickly. Also going into spring and summer is a much better time to find a job than if you were looking in fall and winter.

I was intrigued by your resume. You look young in your photo, which could be good and bad (not really sure which). The repeating your information on the side is probably a good way to brand yourself. Have you looked at the Ladders? http://www.theladders.com they have some useful tools and basic information. You can upgrade to a premium membership to gain access to many of the career finding tools. I tend to get free offers frequently but have not tried them. Also, are you on linkedin? That is becoming a good tool too.

Good luck!
David
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Des219 wrote:Matt,
You look young in your photo, which could be good and bad (not really sure which).
David
If it's bad, there's always this one :drool:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic