July 2013 Photo Challenge: Bug Off!!

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The purpose of these challenges is to encourage us to get out and get the best shot of an assigned subject. It's a great way to enhance your photography skills.
Even if you think you take crappy pictures, please join in. Those of you just reading the forum and not posting, this is your chance to join in and show off.

[important]This challenge is about finding the most interesting specimen this month. Priority of judging will be based first on your find, second on how well you captured it.[/important]

This month's challenge: "Bug off!!"
I caught this one resting on the lawn - shot handheld with my s95.

Only rules:
It has to be taken by you.
It has to be taken in Upstate NY. *

A winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
-freshness (have we seen it somewhere before or did you take it just for this challenge? - we prefer the latter!)
-frame
-subject
-creativity
-use of color (or lack thereof)
-uniqueness

* Photos taken outside of Upstate NY are welcome for display as long as they are labeled as such.
Matt
President
President

I almost ate this inchworm who was on a wild raspberry. What am I saying, this was one of the last in the bunch, I probably ate his family long before I noticed him. Shot handheld with my s95.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

whoah! How many X zoom is that?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Sorry, I never got any market photos entered last month...June was crazy busy for me...and no markets in my life lately.

But...bugs I do! ...just starting to look for them now that summer is here...I love stalking them with my zoom lens in macro mode.
(Matt...that raspberry worm is awesome...I'm impressed that the S95 caught that so well.)

Here's a damsel fly I spotted last week...first one of the season...out on the shore of Sodus Bay.

Mikell
Matt
President
President

great color on that.

This guy picked the wrong day to cross my patio.
Scooped up for a photograph session. Wouldn't stay still so, a sequence of 3 shots.
Matt
President
President

Robin Wong has a neat demo of a Shoebox bouncer he made for insect macro shooting.
http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2012/08/s ... uncer.html
works great if you have a bounce flash. I shot the centipede with a half-assed one I scrambled to make.

A while back I bought a [amazon=B0031AQ302]cheap ring light off[/amazon] of amazon for about $30. I haven't had much experience with it yet, but planning to take it with me more often.
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Let me know how that ring light works, Matt. That's something I've been thinking about getting.
Mikell
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Haven't a clue what this little bug is...he was crawling around the top of a roll of paper towels...and i could barely see him...but this is what my macro lens saw:

Mikell