2012 Owl Woods

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

My son, Benjamin and I went to the woods yesterday morning to search for some Owls.

Benjamin found 1 Saw Whet in the normal tree on the left, just before the blown over tree on the right with the roots showing. Boy, he is getting good at spotting the Owls.No pictures, just a nice morning walk the the woods with the little one.

Today should be a good day to spot some Owls, unfortunately I am stuck here at work all day until 6 tonight.

Good luck if any of you make it there today.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

So has anyone made it out to Owl Woods over the last few days ?

I have not been able to get there since Saturday morning, darn work always gets in the way.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I made it out today after work and only located one (found someone taking a photo of it) in the classroom.

This was the only one found according to several folks I encountered on the trail.

Some suggested the weather may have thrown off the migration with bulk of it already passed.

A guy maintaining the trail suggested that there has been a lot of visitors and the owls may have been flushed out...seeking refuge elsewhere.

Will be heading back next week.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

We went out on Sunday afternoon...met a few people on the trail...but no one had seen any...and one fellow was a very experienced birder...with a HUGE zoom lens to die for! He gave us some good tips for spotting owls...but no luck for anyone while we were there.

It was a beautiful day though...loved the walk!
Mikell
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

I don't think that the Owls are all through this area yet. I have walked through the woods looking for them starting in mid February, and the first Owls that I saw was on the same day as Kyle, March 7th. I have not heard any reports of Long Eared Owls other than on the 7-8th there were a couple spotted.

I think that we should have at least a couple of more weeks of movement ahead of us. I would tend to think that BBRR would have adjusted their Owl Prowl scheduling to bring the timing more in line with the migration.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr