Recommendations for a quick weekend trip?

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

All of you amaze me. :up: Go get 'em!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Yvonne by all means start planning for a March trip.
Here’s my experience for March and April: frozen, mud, wet, and frozen, in the morning the temp is still below freezing by mid day it warms enough to make the lower trails muddy, then towards the end it refreezes. Trail conditions at trailhead no snow or very little depending on the winter, around 2000 ft elevation on well used trails you’ll have solid smooth ice, (hence crampons) higher elevations 3 feet of snow or more. The peaks in a normal winter will receive 5 plus feet of snow (more like 8 plus), at any point in the trail you might come across blow down or broken trees from the winter, sometimes the trail is hard to re-find and trail crews have not been out yet. Bugs shouldn’t be a problem yet. :D

Any place in the western high peaks you’ll need a bear canister for your food and smelly items. You can rent them at the mountaineer in Keen and maybe other places now. As for trail guide’s and topo maps the ADK has the best going you can buy them from the ADK or most book stores and maybe Amazon. You’ll want “ADK High Peaks Region Trail Guide” it comes with a map that covers the book. 1st book on this page book it sells for 19.95

As for weather sites I use NOAA or underground weather I found them to be the closest keep in mind the ranges run in different directions thus the closest town covered may not be correct but will be close.
http://www.wunderground.com/
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

gee no mention about my picture :( LOL

happy hiking / backpacking and any questions feel free to ask
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

What picture Jim?

Bear canisters....I believe they are only required in the eastern peaks...not western. Typo? And in March at least...wouldn't be required. Later in spring/summer/fall, yes.

The map in that book is priceless. I have two. I've found the trail descriptions in the book itself confusing, but YMMV.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

hobkyl wrote:What picture Jim?

Bear canisters....I believe they are only required in the eastern peaks...not western. Typo? And in March at least...wouldn't be required. Later in spring/summer/fall, yes.

The map in that book is priceless. I have two. I've found the trail descriptions in the book itself confusing, but YMMV.
The last sentance in wed's post say's:
For a good look at a winter peak check out picture 20 on my 46er interview
link to interview on signature line

Kyle yes your correct on the typo I ment the Eastern High Peaks.
Bear caisters as stated on the DEC website is:
"during the period April 1 through November 30, no overnight camper in the Eastern High Peaks Zone shall fail to use bear-resistant canisters for the storage of all food, food containers, garbage, and toiletries."
Thanks Kyle
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

backpacker wrote:For a good look at a winter peak check out picture 20 on my 46er interview
Ah yes, beautiful! Hopefully I will make it up there this winter. :cross:

Right now Id be happy just to snowshoe at Mendon Ponds. :angry:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

backpacker wrote:

gee no mention about my picture :( LOL

happy hiking / backpacking and any questions feel free to ask
How could I forget to mention your picture? :oops: :oops:
I really love it, that's exactly what I expect of a winter hike :up:
Just looking at it and I'm getting envious.

I wish we had a little bit more snow so I could at least grab my snowshoes for a few days... :cry:

And yeah, thanks again for the book recommendation. I bought it at Eastern Mountain Sports while getting some other stuff. ;) The map is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thank you Kyle and Yvonne,
That hike to dix's was a good one used everything we had as far as layers and equipment. Started with bare boot and light cloths then went to snowshoes and finally crampons and warmer cloths!
There’s always snow in the dacks and Catskills this time of year it's just a road trip to get their.

Happy hiking and shoeing :D

forgot,
your welcome on the book/map any other questions feel free to ask.
my flickr gallery
46er interview