Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Pillsbury Mountain Fire Tower
Trailhead is 8.1 miles north of Speculator on route 30. Just past Mason Lake, you have to keep an eye open for logging trucks if logging is taking place they hog the road. The road is unmaintained from December 1st to April 1st. Just past the trailhead you cross Miami River (a small stream here) once past the stream the climbing begins. You’ll ascend 1337 feet in 1.5 miles a typical high peak climb. Near the top there is a lot of blow down and the trail is hard to find but once thru it you’ll find the trail with no problem. There is no view from the ground and the cabin is closed but the views are good from the upper levels.

Normaly I don't post these

Tree growth

Tree on rock

The first view

The tower

Tower and Cabin
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Black Mountain Fire Tower
Elevation gain is 1046 feet in 2.5 miles, total trip is 5 miles.
The fire tower daters from around 1918, the tower has fallen victim to the modern world. The tower is adorned with radio antennas along with the small rocky summit. A windmill was build around 1996 and shook itself apart; the present windmill still makes a fluttering sound that can be heard from about ¾’s of a mile away. Black Mountain is the highest mountain in the Lake George area thus making it a good place to oversee the lake. On a nice day in the fall this would be the place to photograph the lake area the hills around the lake and the small island in full fall color would be site to see. As for any Bigfoot hunter I saw no signs of him. For those of you that follow Bigfoot Whitehall NY has made Monster Quest and other Bigfoot shows.

The trail and yes they had 6-8" of wet snow

find the big white bump on the left, follow the ridge to the right this is where your car is parked. the two white dots around the center of the shot is a old farm homsted this is .8 miles from your car! you are 2.5 miles from your car where this picture was taken.

The tower

tower and windmill

sign on fence around tower

Lake George pano

windmill and tower video
video of the windmil
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Awesome photos and TR Jim! I really love that pano of Lake George. :up: :up: In the fall...that would be beautiful...but also risk the encounter of a rattlesnake?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Kinda nice view! Good trek.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

thanks guys,
rattlesnakes not sure on that one but my guess would be no. In the same thought when I started the 35's I ran into two gentelmen that live in the area and hike the cats a lot they're answer to rattlesnakes on the 35's is lessthan 5 peaks might have some.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl

I thought Lake George area was "common" for them? LGD posted a photo of one in the Champlain area as well.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Hey Kyle,
as I said I'm not sure but did check on views from the top, your right Lake Goerge is common in some places, Blake point is listed but not Blake Mountain.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/s ... hp?t=13714
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl

;) oops sorry I missed that part where you said that. All good. I definitely would like to winter hike that area. When did you go that they had that snow?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook