Rochester Cuisine

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Are there any dishes that are particularly "Rochester"?

There's the Garbage Plate.
Nick Tahou Hots, originally known as Hots and Potatoes,[1] is a Rochester, New York landmark restaurant featuring a dish called the Garbage Plate. The restaurant was founded in 1918 by its namesake, Nick Tahou, who died in 1997. While there are other Upstate New York variants, Nick Tahou's is the originator of the Garbage Plate and, as holder of the trademark, the only restaurant able to use the name.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

White hots?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Good one...

from wiki
The white hot is a variation on the hot dog found in Rochester, New York, and the upstate area.[1] It is composed of some combination of uncured and unsmoked pork, beef, and veal; the lack of smoking or curing allows the meat to retain a naturally white color.[2] White hots usually contain mustard and other spices, and often include a dairy component such as nonfat dry milk.
The white hot originated in the 1920s[citation needed] in Rochester's German community as a "white and porky"[1] alternative to high-price red hot dogs, made of the less desirable meat parts and various fillers; in contrast, modern versions are made from quality meats and generally are sold at higher prices than common hot dogs.
The best-known producer of the white hot is Zweigle's. Even though they were not the first to make the dog, they were "the first ones at the stadium" (according to Robert Berl, the first maker of the Zweigle brand white hot). Soon after Berl began making the dogs in 1925, he secured a contract at the Red Wing Stadium. The white hot has become the official hot dog of the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Rochester Amerks and Rochester Rhinos and was the official hot dog of the Washington Nationals during the major league baseball team's first season.[citation needed]
There is an unrelated white German sausage, traditional in Bavaria and popular in the mid-western United States, known as weisswurst, which is made primarily from veal.
I've never had one myself. I do love Zweigles though.. mmmmm
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Matt wrote:Good one...
Thanks. What do I win?

Matt wrote:I've never had one myself. I do love Zweigles though.. mmmmm
Wow. Seriously? It's the only hot dog I'll eat. With yellow mustard (French's, also originally from Rochester http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French's) and onions or sweet relish.

As a high schooler, I worked at the original Tom Wahl's in Avon. We had to call out the orders to the person at the grill. It was always called out as the number or items ordered, then the item and then a repeat of the number.

So, for hot dogs - if someone ordered a red one - it was "One, Texas One." But what I loved the most was when someone ordered a white one, it was "One Porker, One." It made my day.

Just sharing. :mrgreen:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Good one Kelly. I myself dislike white hots!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

garbage plates! :yum:
http://www.stevethots.com/
I swear if I would have stayed in Rochester after college I would have died of a heart attack by age 35.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

I heard someone talk about "Chicken Rochester" once. Here's a little background: Chicken Rochester/French
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Not one for sticking my neck out for a resatuarant for others. But before this one goes big, or decides to change, maybe a consideration.

This is true italian. The restaurant is packed from 5:30 on. Yes the prices are half what they should be, but the food and the wait is worth it. Check out the reviews. Mad crazy good. This is in Victor just east of the village on Rte 96 by a mile or so. david
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-04-21 at 1.18.27 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-21 at 1.18.27 AM.png (117.29 KiB) Viewed 7129 times