Local ice cream joint of choice?

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Hands down, the best I've had

Just ventured into this place even though we have driven by it frequently. Usually have coffee. A couple of weeks ago, I asked permission from the counter girl, to take some photos. She went in the back and returned with a charming older Italian gent who must have been the owner. He kindly granted permission for photos and then as any good marketer would do, asked if we'd ever been in before and if we'd tried his gelato. "No, not yet.....we're waiting til summer for that," we said! In his delightful Italian accent, he said, "Ohhh...nooooo...we go out of business if you wait til summer!' With that he gave us each a generous scoop of a really chocolaty flavor with an Italian name that I'll have to look up." WOW! We each got a dish and are now hooked!

The best. :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Real Gelato or made from a mix? most places around here that I have been to do the mix (which is just horrendous for the fruit sorbets).
If they make the real deal, then I will certainly give them my regular business. (tired of driving all the way to Syracuse for my fix.)
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Recipes come right from Sicily and the gelato is made in the store. It's the real deal. I just came from there. The flavor I love is Sette Veli.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor

If you watch the video on the link, the guy at the end is the owner - he tells you about the authenticity of it all. You should always trust a guy in a pink shirt! ;)
Some reviews
Last edited by Kelly on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to reviews

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Although Orien's is great, it is expensive, and the toppings... well, they never seem to make it into the scoop. They are just for show.
Their Cookie Dough is much different than the usual... it has a very buttery taste... very fresh.

Of the many places I have tried (pretty much all), right now, Pittsford Dairy takes the cake for the best. Their ice cream is rich (real cream and real sugar) and flavored with fresh ingredients. Served so headache-inducing cold that one is shocked it still comes out creamy (due to the high butterfat content). Cherry Vanilla is packed with cherries, and the Coconut Almond Crunch is a new favorite of mine. Looking forward to trying some new flavors.

Also, note that they make their own fresh frozen custard (soft serve). Abbotts is not fresh. It's made from a bag of powder and water. The same garbage McDonalds and DQ uses. They stopped making fresh custard decades ago. This is the real thing and they often rotate flavors.

The storefront is awesome. They have a variety of drinks, fresh dairy, baked goods, and awesome pastries near the ice cream.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pittsford-farms-dairy-pittsford
Kelly
Editor
Editor

I'm not much of an ice cream eater, and I can't vouch for any of this......but today's Democrat & Chronicle has quite a spread on ice cream and the joints that serve it.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... ck_check=1

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

lugias is tops on my list now. Yeah it's Perry's which is a local company... but easily the best commercial manufacturer of ice cream i am aware of (we have it so lucky here in WNY). Lugias not only has all their flavors, but you get more than you can eat for under 4 bucks. It's insane. I don't know how they make any money.

I tried Yolicious, which is Rochester's answer to the trendy west coast yogurt places. Yolicious is repulsive. From the decor to the confusing pricing system (everyone who walked in had to have the pricing explained to them), but especially the machine churned plasticy spooge they call yogurt. If you have ever had pinkberry, TCBY, Ben and Jerry's or even accidentally frozen a container of Gogurt, you have had better yogurt than this place.
49 cents an ounce puts about 2 scoops worth of this gelatenous crap at 9 bucks. plus the 20 cents for the cup. Plus the inevitable eye surgery you will need from spending 10 minutes in this dayglow puke-pile of an establishment. They have a lot of toppings. And you can help yourself. 49 cents an ounce ... don't forget.

I hope this place crashes and burns.
It's easier, cheaper, and better for you to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's yogurt and your own topping. serves more people at half the price.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

We did something a few weeks ago that I don't ever remember doing before. We went to the Cayuga Lake Creamery and had sundaes for dinner. I had coconut ice cream in a Mexican sundae and Mike had mocha chocolate chunk in a turtle sundae. Amazing! Hands down my favorite ice cream anywhere.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com