Downsville Covered Bridge

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

The final bridge in a group of three within 30 minutes of one another. (If you ever plan on shooting one of these bridges, plan a trip to all three. You can knock them all out of the way in a two-hour span, travel included!)

This one is a rebuilt bridge and it's off the main drag, but tough to miss. When in Downsville, you'll be on Route 30, heading toward Roscoe. As you near the edge of town, it'll be off Route 30 on Bridge St. at the east end of town. It's on the right if you are leaving Downsville toward Roscoe and much easier to see.

Downsville's covered wonder is 174-feet long and still in service, so you can cross it.

There is a small parking lot and park on the Downville side of the bridge. On the other side, there's a parking spot and a rock that was dedicated by someone (I can't find the photo I took of it, so I need to get to see this one again and I'll update this if I do!)

For photos, both sides are fine. You have some pretty open shots, but there are also houses on the one side of the bridge, so you want to obviously try and avoid them as much as possible. It's also easy to keep your car out of the camera range.

Downsville is an interesting town, but not sure there's really a ton of other things to photograph. Never really explored, so I would imagine going off on one of the back roads, or maybe heading up Bear Spring Mountain would give you some good shots, especially in the fall.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Full shot of the bridge...

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Looking toward Downsville...

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Inside...

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Last stop on a 3-bridge day. Got kinda lazy....

No windows to photograph out of - they were up way too high... :cry:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

nice perspectives
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

This is a tough bridge to shoot. Always something seems to be interfering with it.