Wells Falls - Tompkins County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

bish
Junior
Junior

My wife and I checked out this falls and abandoned power plant in Ithaca recently. It's a popular "illegal" swimming hole for locals, with the crazier ones leaping off the power plant roof into a small, deep pool at the base of one falls. It's near the 6 mile creek nature area off Giles Rd. in Ithaca.
IMG_4384 b&w reduced.jpg
IMG_4388 b&w reduced.jpg
Attachments
Wells Falls
Wells Falls
Power plant
Power plant
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

nice shots, I like the third one really a lot. ;)
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

You seemed to really capture the falls in first picture with B&W type.. Seems to let you know they've been around a long time !
Thanks for the views...
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

IMGP0582 by hobkyl, on Flickr

IMGP0614 by hobkyl, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Visited Saturday and found some kids jumping off the falls. It was raining pretty bad, so I only got off a couple of shots.

Kids jumping at Wells Falls by hobkyl, on Flickr

They also headed upstream, and I wondered what was up there...so I googled Six Mile Creek Jumping and came up with videos such as this one. There had to have been close to 2 dozen people out in all, in a pretty nasty thunderstorm. Wish we had gone upstream to see jumps like these...

http://youtu.be/Uvn-0e8ptcA
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

i am compelled to visit this one now. The abandoned building really adds to the atmosphere.
hobkyl

Such an easy falls to visit too!
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
RichieC
Rookie

Went to Well's Falls a.k.a Businessman's Lunch today - beautiful falls, and pretty full.

Does anyone know how to access Porter Falls which are evidently further up six-mile creek? The Mulholland Wildlife Preserve trail ends at a small waterfall with a dam in the distance. Porter Falls seems to be beyond that however.