Hello - so many waterfalls, so little time!

New members, stop in and say Hello!

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

welcome to the group Loren
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
dps77
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Power Shot G11

Welcome Loren, nice photos.
Dave :D :D
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Thanks, everyone!

IRT Backpacker, I've been to Hanging Spear a couple of times, and the last trip, we did climb down to the bottom. Actually, we went downstream first, to the bottom of the hill, and made our way back upstream. Then, climbed back up the steep hill along side the falls. Next time we go, we are bringing a rope to sling down the hill to have something to hold onto on the way down.
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Yea it looked steep, and the day I was there it was raining and slippery. Out there you don’t want any accidents. Do you know if the bridge got replaced or repaired? That would make for a round trip and exiting thru the iron mines.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Which bridge? The last time I was through there, maybe 2006, we took the round trip, and it wasn't much fun, along with being MUCH longer. There is a large area that was logged after a blowdown, and it's just a slog through miles of torn up terrain. You skirt the edge of the mines, so you don't see much there, and end up near the Lake Jimmy parking lot. Unless you mean the bridge over Lake Jimmy? That is in rough shape, with a single plank for one section that barely holds one person (you get your shoes wet) and the rest of it is "floating" in some spots. I was there this past Memorial Day.
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

When I did Allen I went around the mines, it was interesting and you could still find iron ore on the trail(road). When I hike I try and do round trips just to see more. In and out on the same trail gets boreing, theirs so much to see in the dacks I want to cover as much as possible. Distance is not a problem for me While doing the 46 high peaks we had many trips of 17 plus miles in one day. I agree with the bridge on Lake Jimmy you do get your feet wet.

This is the bridge I was asking about. ( I was at Hanging Spear Nov. 2008)

From the DEC's website:
The bridge over the Opalescent River on the East River Trail is out. Wading at this time of year should not be attempted due to cold swift-moving water. This is a remote location that could have life threatening conditions if you get wet.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

I like to do loops as well, but that one was a killer. Ten miles is about all I'm willing to do in a day, and that extra 3-4 miles out past the mines was no fun. Didn't help that I ran out of water and didn't have my filter with me. That won't happen again. No fun hiking along the great Opalescent River, being thirsty and knowing you can't drink it (water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink - lol, I know how that feels).

I don't know offhand which bridge that is, it seems a couple on the Opalescent are out, and I would imagine will be for quite some time. Last winter was bad for ice & tree damage everywhere it seems.
LGD
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Welcome Loren!! :)