Light Tripods Can Actually Make Images Blurrier

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Scientists say bad tripods increase camera shake
We've always known that when taking long-exposure pictures, we're supposed to use a tripod that will keep the camera steady and prevent blurry shots. But now, Japanese scientists at the Nishi Lab of the University of Electrocommunications say they are debunking that fact somewhat.

They developed a tool that measures the amount and direction of camera shake, and the results appear to show that when an SLR is mounted on a tripod, the setup may actually contribute to the vibration caused by the shooter's mirror and shutter movement.
One consolation from this study is that the researchers used a relatively light tripod for the tests (about 3.3 pounds).
So the gist of it is to invest in a sturdy (and maybe heavy) support device for your snapper. Check out companies like Manfrotto and Slik because these companies produce pretty good tripods that professional photographers trust.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-102 ... subj=Crave

I invested in a carbon fiber tripod a while back and in the past month or so, shooting in windy weather, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the lightweight carbon fiber pods. They do seem less stable and the wind does tend to vibrate them a bit. Still better than those cheap ones though.
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

I like my light tripod, much nicer to carry around all night when I'm shooting, the only problem I've had is if it is very windy out... a slight softening then, but then I stand to block the wind and I usually don't have any issues then, the biggest thing that made my night images sharp was when I learned about self timer, exposure delay, and my remote release :up:
webphantom
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon Rebel XTi

You can try using ankle weights (or something simular) to put on the cross pieces. They help sturdy the tripod. They make stuff like that small enough to carry around. Just trying to help out.