Skyland Farms - Hector

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

That pretty much describes the taste and texture of the gelato I had. It was very good; I just don't know if all gelato is that expensive. I don't know if it beats out icecream just because I can't imagine putting Heath bars and hot fudge on gelato any more than I can imagine putting it in sorbet or jello. But I am a rookie gelato-eater, so what do I know?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I had a bit of cabin fever this afternoon, so I decided to drag Mike down to Skyland Farms to see what was new. I was a good girl--I only spent $4 on a package of grape twists (Twizzlers). There were a ton of people there. I counted five cats today, including several kittens that were up for adoption. I carried around my usual shopping companion, the little torti. A lot of stuff had been moved around. The only fountain left in the new room upstairs was the ceramic pedestal sink with the grapes. I'd love to have that. A new item that I noticed since my last visit was the collection of metal benches out front. There was a butterfly bench where the wings formed the back of the bench. Beautiful!!! For a mere $2,775(?) you can have one too, delivery included! Oh, to have money...They also now have some high end jewelry in the display case in the new room upstairs. I forgot the name of the artist, but it was some very nice stuff. They've also expanded the deck for the cafe since I was last there. I did at least get some ideas for Christmas.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Those grape twists are great aren't they?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

They were until I read the ingredients/package info. It was pretty disappointing. Not only are they not made in Naples, as one might be led to believe by the packaging, but they don't contain anything that might even resemble grape juice! There was a bowl of pieces of them on the counter, so I just tasted and bought (not typical of me). I ate two or three on my way home and then sat down to read the package later on. I felt like I had just ingested a box of birthday candles.

I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way to make them a little more wholesome by boiling down real grape juice instead of using artificial flavoring and food dyes. Sounds like a project...Mill Creek Grape Twists coming to stores soon (along with my maple syrup when I get my sugar shack built). :lol:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I found the link to the company that makes the butterfly benches: http://www.butterflybench.com/butterflybench/id1.html
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Brenda wrote: I felt like I had just ingested a box of birthday candles.

:rotfl: :bday:
I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way to make them a little more wholesome by boiling down real grape juice instead of using artificial flavoring and food dyes.
Then instead of $4/package, they'd be $12. :shrug:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

[/quote]Then instead of $4/package, they'd be $12. :shrug:[/quote]

You're right. These were mass produced God only knows where for the company in Naples. I'm not sure that enough people would care about the ingredients to pay more for homemade. But then who knows? When you're shopping at some trendy country store you might be more inclined to put out a little more money for something that is truly locally produced. I probably would have paid the same for a smaller package, but then I would have felt ripped off when I read the label. Now I just have a big bag of "who knows what" sitting on top of the fridge that I'll probably never touch again. Hey, they most likely have at least a 50 year shelf life! :lol:
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Those grape ones are sold everywhere. I believe they are made by Kenny's Licorice, and repackaged by Arbor Hill.
Licorice twists as we know them are tough to manufacture- so I just assumed they weren't locally produced. There are apply flavor ones now circulating around the various farm markets for cider season.
I like them.
I buy mine at Sweet Expressions in Canandaigua.